Building my own 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I hope you don't think we're just trying to put you off @rochesterboy . What we're saying is that the frame is intended for a fast endurance road bike and if you build it up as a hybrid you won't get a hybrid but something quite different.
Good luck, I hope it works out.

OP
OP
rochesterboy

rochesterboy

Thank you CycleOps.

My intention is not to build a typical hybrid bike. I should have clarified that first.

I first got a Cannondale Quick 4 for my wife. Our daughter loved it and she started using it and requested me to get another bike for her mom.

My wife prefers lightweight bike which does not take lot of energy to pedal. Quick 4 (Aluminum) is that. So I started looking at FaceBook, etc., for a carbon flat-bar bike (more of a carbon fitness bike similar to Quick). They are hard to come by. So I thought of getting a carbon road bike and converting it to a flat-bar. My wife tried my endurance bike and the only thing that she did not like is the dropbar. So she will good with a road bike with flat bar and up-right ride.

Even now, I am negotiating the price for a 2008 Giant TCR full carbon with flatbar bike. If that works out, that will become my wife's bike and I may go all out on building an endurance road bike on 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0 frame that I just bought. My first build on a frame that only accepts Di2 components is a challenge. YouTube seems to have lot of video on it. We will see.

Would something like this help to change riding position to up-right?

Giant Contact OD2 Stem (Black) (31.8mm) (85mm) (30°) (1-1/4" Steerer)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As stated a few times above, the top tube will seem pretty short if you are using a flat bar, to try and remedy that you would need a long stem (130mm is fairly common) and not raise the bar too much. The stem you mention is very short and also raises the bar due to it’s 30 degrees. It will be more upright, but that may not be a good thing if the steering becomes very twitchy and your wife is in an uncomfortable position.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I don't think the Defy is especially aggressive for a roadbike (less so than a TCR) but it could be more so than an upright flatbar (depending on headtube height, how many spacers can go under the stem etc, hopefully the steerer tube hasn't been cut by a previous owner).
Indeed the Defy has a pretty big headtube, more "endurance" than a lot of other brands endurance models.

OP
OP
rochesterboy

rochesterboy

Thank you friends.

2008 Giant TCRc full carbon road bike with flat bar for $700 USD

The above bike is for sale in my local FB marketplace. The seller is willing to sell it for $700 USD. He has already converted it to a flat bar bike. Size is small (5' 4" to 5' 7"). My wife is 5' 3". Would this bike be a better option for her? When there is a range of height for a specific size, what adjustment would a typical fitter do for a specific person? Obviously seating post height change and may be moving the seat closer towards the front?

vickster

Legendary Member
That’s a pretty old frame, as such seems massively overpriced for a Frankenbike.
She needs to ride it to see if suits.
You realise carbon frames aren't necessarily much lighter than an alu one. A modern alu frame with a carbon fork with higher end, thus lighter components, can be as light or lighter than a carbon bike with lower end heavier components (tyres and wheels can also make a bike roll better and as such feel quicker and lighter).
I’d personally look for a recent higher model Specialized Vita and add some lighter tyres if needed

Reactions: C R

Gunk

Guru
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but I have built two bikes over the last year from bare frames and both ended up being complete money pits, you always spending far too much on silly minor components and consumables.

I enjoy the process, but it's always easier to just buy a complete bike.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry, but that FB seller is having a giraffe. As Vicky says there’s not much difference in weight between carbon and aluminium and being easier to pedal is not just governed by the weight. I appreciate what your aim is but it’s really much better idea to buy her a proper WS model like the Vita, it’ll suit her much better.

OP
OP
rochesterboy

rochesterboy

The second option I see is the following Felt F3X:

2018 felt f3x 47cm needs rotors and full groupset - $900 OBO

Size 47 ( 5’0”-5’5”). The seller wanted to build a gravel bike and went in a different direction. It needs rotors and groupset. What do you guys think?

OP
OP
rochesterboy

rochesterboy

Sorry, but that FB seller is having a giraffe. As Vicky says there’s not much difference in weight between carbon and aluminium and being easier to pedal is not just governed by the weight. I appreciate what your aim is but it’s really much better idea to buy her a proper WS model like the Vita, it’ll suit her much better.

Sorry cycleops. I don't understand your comment on "having a giraffe". Asking price is high?

raggydoll

Über Member
The second option I see is the following Felt F3X:

2018 felt f3x 47cm needs rotors and full groupset - $900 OBO

Size 47 ( 5’0”-5’5”). The seller wanted to build a gravel bike and went in a different direction. It needs rotors and groupset. What do you guys think?

If they are asking for $900 and it needs rotors and a full groupset, it's going to end up an expensive used bike.
That bike came with ultegra which is around $1100 USD (after a quick check....cheapest I could find UK price and converted to USD.

That would also be for drop levers etc. If you still want to go the flat bar route you'd need to look at different levers etc (I'm not sure which, if any trigger shifters are compatible with 11 speed).

Then a rotor and no saddle in photo.

So that bike would be over $2000USD by my calculations.

I reckon best to hold out and get the good lady a complete bike (flat bar of course!)

Top Bottom