Building my own Trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

ChrisKz

Shocks arrived a few days ago .. Been busy fabricating parts , Will post a few pics in the morning . Making good progress. How I love metal work , although having to get through the pain barrier of arthritis , nothing like filing metal and admiring the end product

OP
OP
C

ChrisKz

Just thought i would post a few pics of the build so far . The 1st pic is the suspension plates that will be used , as I am using MDF is a test bed . Pic 2 is experimental mount for suspension shock ( I have to get the height and width of the mount as it will be movable/pivot . You can see both the brake calipers mounted . The axles are just temp as I will be fabricating new ones . Nuts etc are also just temp as nylocks etc and the right length bolts will be used on the final build ... Will be working on the swing arm today and hopefully pics to follow

Attachments

• IMG_20220428_090347.jpg
    IMG_20220428_090347.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220428_090339.jpg
    IMG_20220428_090339.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220428_090324.jpg
    IMG_20220428_090324.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220419_100645.jpg
    IMG_20220419_100645.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
C

ChrisKz

What sort of weight do you think it's going to be?

Its not going to be that heavy . I have osteio and Rhumatoid arthritis , so I have to be able to lift/move it I have no problem lifting the " front end" in the pics . I am hoping to make it so that it is modular and maybe comes apart in 3 pieces for transport . I will wiegh the parts , nearer the final build .. I am still awaiting the controller from china ( its been in UK since 15th April and still showing at RDC and delivery date 4th May ) God knows why so long , I had a throttle from ame seller and it was here in 2 weeks . Then of course have to order batteries and a KT display .
Mudguards/ fenders are a problem as damn expensive ( I bought a pair of trailer guards for £10) so going to modify those to fit the front .
I have actually removed the MDF and fitted the plates . I really need , now to fabricate steering arms so that the "leaning" angle can be obtained and "stops" fitted , along with a centering mechanism to lock the lean so that it jusy steers without lean option .
Swing arm and rear brake mount is nearly finished . Just waiting ( again) for some motorcycle engine brackets that can be used for rear suspension and to pivot the arm to the frame ( cheaper to buy , that to make some myself ) .. Just enjoying the experience of building my project

OP
OP
C

ChrisKz

It's been a while and my Arthritis has been playing up somewhat . Just been looking for items to use on my build . Did purchase a KT 48v 1000w controller from a UK shop . I did order from Aliexpress , but still not here after nearly 2 months , so slapped in a Paypal claim and won . Have given up buying from China . Just picked up an AB lounge seat/chair which i will be adapting to fit the trike . Only paid £30 and it's like new .

1652699082747.png

classic33

Leg End Member
Just thought i would post a few pics of the build so far . The 1st pic is the suspension plates that will be used , as I am using MDF is a test bed . Pic 2 is experimental mount for suspension shock ( I have to get the height and width of the mount as it will be movable/pivot . You can see both the brake calipers mounted . The axles are just temp as I will be fabricating new ones . Nuts etc are also just temp as nylocks etc and the right length bolts will be used on the final build ... Will be working on the swing arm today and hopefully pics to follow
If they're the standard axles on the two front wheels, they'll bend.
They're designed to support the weight on either side, not one.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
One sided hubs are slightly different but only in the axle.
Hub body's and flanges remain the same.

Usually a larger diameter axel tapered down to the outside bearing however my ICE front wheels just have solid axles.

OP
OP
C

ChrisKz

This is the front suspension unit ( not finished yet as have to yet design steering connectors/pivots ) I am fabricating curved support bars for the rear of the seat back and seat These will be attached to adjustable fittings so the seat area and the back will be fully adjustable . The frame will be used in other areas ( if needed) Just need the actual seat . It is 25mm ( 1" ) tubing on the seat frames . I have 25mm pipe fittings that will clamp and hold the seat , so it will be removable for transport . I have actually sat in the seat and its very relaxing ( I was going to contour the seat frame) but its fine as is and also , no need for a headrest as the back is more than high enough .. Saved me loads of money , rather than spend £200/$300 on a overpriced recumbent seat. Also using Carbon fibre rods to save weight and add strength . All in all . total spent is around £350 inc electrics so far

Attachments

• IMG_20220516_172144.jpg
    IMG_20220516_172144.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ChrisKz

One sided hubs are slightly different but only in the axle.
Hub body's and flanges remain the same.

Usually a larger diameter axel tapered down to the outside bearing however my ICE front wheels just have solid axles.

Axles are 15mm solid with M14 tapped thread . All full bearings in axles and hubs etc . The wheel axle as been sleeved inside to take more weight than will be actually applied 28mm solid and drilled out to 15.5mm for the axle . I have probably over engineered everything , but I know it will be strong and do what I ask it to do . Still working on the swing arm as my arthritis has been real bad some days , so just took it easy

Last edited:

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Front wheels sound solid enough.
I would personally use double butted spokes with a long thread and steel nipple but obviously reducing the unsprung weight is key to getting moving.

OP
OP
C

ChrisKz

Front wheels sound solid enough.
I would personally use double butted spokes with a long thread and steel nipple but obviously reducing the unsprung weight is key to getting moving.

I have 12g spokes on every wheel . more than enough to support the weight and power . I had to get them from China as couldn't find the size anywhere in UK and wasn't prepared to pay £70 + for 38 spokes and needing 76 just for the front and another 38 at a different length for the rear 26" wheel . Thats over £200 just for spokes . in UK .... Yeah right .. save my money wait 3 weeks . job done .. I actually got the 3 sets for just over £30 with nipples

OP
OP
C

ChrisKz

Well it's been a fair while since I posted i here . Still a work in progress. Arthritis took it's toll and I had to stop for a while . I am going to paint it in Kawasaki Green ( code 777) as you can see at the front suspension. Have a way to go before it's finished . Have to sort out steering and footrests . just toying with the angle to attach the swing arm to the main body ( I have since taken the photo , angled the rear tubing of the main body ) Seat is from an AB lounger , which i disassembled and in the process of mounting . I have made the recumbent to easily come apart for transportation with 3 bolts that hold the front suspension from the body . Seat will also fold flat or just be removed .
So that's it for the moment , ( I am currently spraying some components and lacquering )

Attachments

• work in progress.jpg
    work in progress.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom