Building up a bike from scratch..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
,,how difficult is it?

Am thinking about getting a Ribble winter audax bike frame and transfering most of the bits from my very banged up and scratched Secteur to it, is this feasible for a moderately OK fettler like myself?
Would get it with the mathing forks and the reccomended headset, would these be fitted or would I have to do this?
I think I'd be OK with most of it, would be a good experience if nothing else.

What other parts would I need to complete it?

Thanks.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you have got the tools it is not that hard. You might want to get your crown race fitted on your forks, star nut installed and steerer cut to length. You also need to make sure things like diameter of seat tube and front mech if band on are the same. If you have any problems there are a few of us locally who will give you a hand. :thumbsup:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I did this myself back in 2009, Potsy. Infact I used a Ribble Winter Audax frame too (after trying a Saracen frame to begin with then changing my mind)! Great learning experience.

If you get the frame new, from Ribble and you order the forks (they used to come free, with the frame) Ribble should install the headset - mine came installed anyway. Can't remember if I had to pay for the headset separately though. I purchased a new groupset too, which made it a bit cleaner to build up. The Ribble frame & forks are going begging now, if you are interested? It's a 48cm compact, which is equivalent to a 52 (PM me if you are interested).

Thread for the original Saracen build and pics can be found here. I didn't find it all that difficult to do. Just a case of obtaining all the required tools and little components, like cable ends and so on. Take your time and do a lot of research online and Bob's your Uncle....

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Ah, details, not my strong point ^_^
Have got a basic toolkit and have done all my own maintenance up to now, bottom bracket, cassettes, brakes, chainrings, etc.
The fork/headset scares me a bit.

Visiting Preston tomorrow so will be taking a quick detour to Ribble, I assume it's open for browsing or is it just a warehouse type place?

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
If you get the frame new, from Ribble and you order the forks (they used to come free, with the frame) Ribble should install the headset - mine came installed anyway. Can't remember if I had to pay for the headset separately though. I purchased a new groupset too, which made it a bit cleaner to build up. The Ribble frame & forks are going begging now, if you are interested? It's a 48cm compact, which is equivalent to a 52 (PM me if you are interested).
Thanks for that SD.
Forks are on offer but not free, but will ask tomorrow about how it would come ie headset.

Could well be interested SD, is it in good nick?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Thanks for that SD.
Forks are on offer but not free, but will ask tomorrow about how it would come ie headset.

Could well be interested SD, is it in good nick?

Bit of cable rub on the headtube but apart from that it's ok. Hasn't been used for ages, so I'll have to have a look at it thoroughly and check it over. I decommissioned it ages ago but here's a pic of how she looked 'built-up'. I still have the seatpost, stem, h/bars, headset, forks etc. It was a decent frame but was always a bit too small for me (took a punt on it at the time). BB needed to be changed but I stripped the threads on the crank trying to remove it and had to get the LBS to cut the crankset off in the end, to get the BB out if the frame.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Patience and a bit of research. The hardest parts are the headset and BB, so if you get the headset fitted ask them if they will face the BB shell for you. The rest is simply modular adding of bits. Download the tech docs of the mechs as they show you how to fit and adjust them to your setup.

have fun!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not too difficult at all and as has already suggested there are plenty here on the forum who will be happy to meddle help out if needed :thumbsup: As well as the cost of the new frame/forks you must budget for the items like a seatpost and front mech and probably a myriad of other unforseeable small items that will likely add up to a small fortune. I'm sure tools will be available from the M/cr possy when needed.

Is the frame really that banged up?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Think of it as replacing just one component - the frame.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thread for the original Saracen build and pics can be found here. I didn't find it all that difficult to do. Just a case of obtaining all the required tools and little components, like cable ends and so on. Take your time and do a lot of research online and Bob's your Uncle....

Cheer's for the link to your old bike build thread.
Blimey there were some spacers on that bike weren't there? lol
And lol at leaving the old crown race on there.

Good to read it all again Ant.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Thanks guys, some good info there.

Skol- It's more a case of 2 1/2 years of commuting, not really being that well looked after, and not knowing about things like cable rub and it's harmful effects, also all the accessories like Raceblades, Bikeye mirror etc have all left there marks.
So, thinking new frame + some of my parts that are still decent ie- wheels, brakes, pedals, saddle, would be cheaper and more sensible than new bike ^_^

Might come to nothing, just thinking out loud at the minute :thumbsup:

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I have now changed my mind after reading that :surrender:

Hicky

Guru
Just think of the secteur as the new commuter, marks and dings dont count then as they are scars of war.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Just think of the secteur as the new commuter, marks and dings dont count then as they are scars of war.
But I would still need a weekend bike for CC rides and the like, there's only so much I can do to avert Fossy's eyes from the state of it :giggle:
Saying that, I have slicked up the Tricross today, took off the rack, guards, big wide tyres replaced with the Krylions from the Secteur. It looks very stealthy and fast now, I describe it as a beefed up road bike :becool:

Top Bottom