Building up a bike - things to look out for

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
all good points! I do have new forks though, so at some point I might need to cut the steerer :s I've ordered a new chain, I was thinking it would probably need replacing soon before I had the crash anyway.

not even considered the distance between the rear dropouts! and i have to go out now or I might be tempted to check :biggrin:

I have bought new ones, don't worry. in a funky colour too :smile:

New chain may (and often does) mean a new rear sprocket set

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you are fitting an external Bottom Bracket then check that the shell of the new frame has been faced properly.

For the front cabling (if you don't have gear cables under the bar tape) make sure you have the cables crossing over in a way they don't bind before you join it all up.

Oh and check for length when turned fully to either side before cutting the outers as well so they aren't too tight.

Pier

I'd add to check few video on youtube how to set the rear derailleur. I always struggle to set it correctly.
Also, when the bike is completed, use it for few days, then check again all the nuts and bolts.

OP
OP
Sods_Laur

Sods_Laur

I
New chain may (and often does) mean a new rear sprocket set
Ugh. This was supposed to be cheaper than a new bike :biggrin: they don't look worn to me, but as I know basically nothing that might not mean much. How do I know if it does need replacing?

If you are fitting an external Bottom Bracket then check that the shell of the new frame has been faced properly.
What's the advantage of facing the frame? I have done some reading on this and there seems to be disagreement that it actually helps, that you still have to rely on the threading on the bb shell being spot on so facing is pointless. I wouldn't know myself, it's one of the many technical things I've never heard of until I started this epic task.

You need to check seat post, front mech and head set sizes - the tubes may be a different size from the old frame and may may not be compatible.
Turns out my seatpost is too small. Good call. Any ideas on a suitable replacement? I need a 31.6. My old seatpost was carbon, but I'm not fussed about the weight or whatever so anything comfortable would be fine. ebay is a minefield.

I'd add to check few video on youtube how to set the rear derailleur.
yeah not really looking forward to that part it must be said!

There is a separate thread on chains, but...

Basically a chain stretches as it wears the chain link length changing

As it is used it wears the teeth on the cogs

At a certain point the cogs become worn to fit the worn chain spacing

A new chain will now no longer mesh with the spacing of these teeth

You will know if the chain slips and skips

oldroadman

Veteran
If you look carefully, you might notice that the sprockets are slightly hooked at the end. This is a sure indication that an old chain has worn them and they should be replaced. Generally, changing one it's a good time to do both, unless you are a frequent chain changer.

boydj

Legendary Member
I
Turns out my seatpost is too small. Good call. Any ideas on a suitable replacement? I need a 31.6. My old seatpost was carbon, but I'm not fussed about the weight or whatever so anything comfortable would be fine. ebay is a minefield.
Can't recommend anything, I'm afraid. Last time I bought a seatpost I figured out if I needed some setback or not then scoured the online sites for the best value. I think differences are marginal as long as you are not going for something ultra cheap and you could check e-bay again once you've checked out what's available.

jay clock

Massive member
Problem with seat posts is they dont always fit. I took out a 27.2 (marked on it) and another new one the same size would not go in

Top Bottom