Building up and maintaining a carbon bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi all,

Thought I'd build a bike up, carbon framed. What do I need to unlearn from alloy bikes?

"Do not clamp" on the top tube is my first indication - so is my cheap workstand obsolete, do I need a frame stand and if so how cheap can I get one?

Anything else?

Cheers

TP

lpretro1

Put a cheap alloy seatpost in and clamp to that instead? Use a torque wrench. Use carbon assembly paste where appropriate eg seatpost. Don't take it out in the wet as it will shrink...just joking

Be extra careful not to over tighten anything, a torque wrench is very useful. Use bearing presses if you can, knocking things in with a hammer, is not as good an idea as it is with an alloy / steely.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Put a cheap alloy seatpost in and clamp to that instead? Use a torque wrench. Use carbon assembly paste where appropriate eg seatpost. Don't take it out in the wet as it will shrink...just joking

Assembly paste - is that the equivalent of lithium grease?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not, it's a gritty paste that helps get purchase without over tightening.

S-Express

Hi all,

Thought I'd build a bike up, carbon framed. What do I need to unlearn from alloy bikes?

"Do not clamp" on the top tube is my first indication - so is my cheap workstand obsolete, do I need a frame stand and if so how cheap can I get one?

Anything else?

Cheers

TP

There is absolutely no difference in building a bike of any type, regardless of frame material. Your workstand is not obsolete, as clamping the bike on the TT will not harm it. Over-tightening the clamp like a gorilla, to the point where the TT is crushed will obviously harm it. But then the same is true for clamping a frame of any other material.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Hoooookay; I know Carbon can't be used in the rain or sun, because it melts and or warps, you can't brake hard because the frame shatters and fork impales your heart 100% of the time.

Have we covered the myths off?

Top Bottom