Building up fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I think there are 2 things here, you need to be confident that you can handle your bike, observe and signal without having to think about it. For that, nothing beats practice with occasionally someone riding behind you who can tell you what you're doing right and wrong. By the sound of it you live in commuter belt so doing a lot of riding around back streets, making sure you do it right, will help.

The other thing you need to learn is how other road users act. The only answer is to watch them, see what they do and keep on watching. That's difficult to do if you're worrying about your riding. Can you get someone to take you out in a car and observe?

And you need to know your route, one good reason why a ride into London on a Sunday would be a good idea. Just hope you don't live the wrong side of Shooters Hill.

J1888

Über Member
All I'll say is that you'll be surprised at how quickly your fitness improves.

I was pretty much in exact same boat last year when I got my bike; 28, slim but unfit (football once a week in summer and that's it). First month or so on the bike were tough going - only 6 miles to work - but after about 2 months it was a breeze. Your aerobic fitness improves but for me, the power in your legs increases hugely, which makes cycling so much easier.

Stick with it and you'll be flying within a few months.

Sandra6

Veteran
Definitely sign up for the sessions through your council. Wouldn't it be fantastic if everywhere offered that? And a skyride or similar would be ideal for you.
10 miles probably seems a marathon right now but youll soon be laughing at your old self.
My first ride as an almost 40 year old overweight lady, was barely 4 miles, and it was shattering! But I kept at it and it only took a few trips before I made a 10 mile round trip with ease in under an hour.
Confidence comes with experience so keep at it.

Boon 51

Veteran
Practice.. practice.. and more practice.. add to that some good food and drink and it will get easier as time goes by.
It's hard work riding a bike when your first start but a great pleasure when get it right.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

shadow master

Definetly only one way to build up your fitness for cycling and that's to cycle your bike!cycling makes you good at cycling,sounds obvious but so many people try other things treadmills,rowing machines,stationary bike,but these are just side shows to the main event,also riding a bike well is a skill set not just a fitness set.riding will also naturally develop your road craft,pretty important as a non driver,and the london commute involved,I think you'll be amazed how quickly your base level of fitness rises,and your confidence on the commute will just arrive by itself.

vickster

Legendary Member
Doesn't really go with the wine ;) And yuck!

vickster

Legendary Member
Not with steak, no!! Steak, chips, salad, mustard. And cold eggs are especially foul in any guise (I tend to avoid eating eggs out due to risk of them being cold)...and I can only eat egg with ketchup and ketchup and steak should not be seen together on a plate!

What do you mean about not black?!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You cant eat eggs with ketchup xx( That's probably why you don't like them .... and black bikes to answer the other question .

Top Bottom