Building up the miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/44-healthy-low-carb-foods

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321545

Apples, strawberries, peaches
Lean meat such as chicken breast and pork, seafood like tuna,
Eggs, leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds

I’m sure I can adjust my diet to include those things, especially considering I like all of them.

For juice I’m just going to drink water and flavoured water, a little bit of milk in a couple of cups of coffee or tea and every now and then a small glass of pure orange juice with bits.

Will those adjustments in my diet help me get rid of the belly fat I have at the moment?

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

OK, so you're not overweight. Your BMI is about 22.8 which is in the healthy range between 18.5 and 25 (https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/)

If you're 11 1/2 stone it'd be a BMI of 20, again in the healthy range.

What you should be eating is a balanced diet; protein, carbohydrates, fats, etc. with vitamins and minerals. If you're not eating proteins you won't feel full, nor will you build muscle.

On the bike - water, with a tablet in for salt/minerals, plus snacks if you're going longer distances.

Thank you.

Yes, I want to be on the slimmer side of the BMI for my height.

I’ve looked online and I’ve read the advice given on this thread and when I go shopping later I’ll be buying the right types of food.

Do you mean normal table salt or a specific salt? What are the best types of snacks?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Just cut back the qtys of food and alcohol. No need to change the content.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Mattk50

MattK50
I've lost 5 kg since Dec (mostly face and belly) just by using the indoor trainer (now outdoors). I use it once every 2-3 days and cycle for 90 mins now at 90 cadence enough to sweat quite a lot, now down to 77kg from 82kg, BMI 25.3. Admittedly, one of those kg I lost was in the week after a Moroccan holiday, say no more. I think I could have lost more but I've not really checked my wine or food intake, definitely too much wine a week but it is decent wine in my defence........

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m in my late 40s. I have a fast metabolism and I never put on any weight until I was made redundant and just drank and drank and did not even a moderate amount of exercise.
On that basis, it might be hard to lose the belly fat due to homonal changes but cutting out sugar, processed food alongside cycling and walking good. Also do some upper body strength training if you can :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
Doesn't drinking lots of water cause one to feel bloated?

No, unless consuming gallons. Drink a pint before a meal, carry a water bottle and sip it between meals. These two steps will help massively to reduce binging on snacks.

Simple Calories consumed must be slightly less than calories burned to lose weight

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

On that basis, it might be hard to lose the belly fat due to homonal changes but cutting out sugar, processed food alongside cycling and walking good. Also do some upper body strength training if you can :okay:

Do you mean that it is nigh on impossible for someone who is middle-aged to get a flat belly?

The website you linked just states that it can be harder for older men to lose weight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Is it still okay to eat a Sunday dinner? Meat, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, mashed potato, gravy, etc.

Am I right in thinking that the saying “calories in, calories out” means eat less and exercise more? Because if someone just eats very little then his or her body will go into starvation mode and actually store that fat, right?

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Is it still okay to eat a Sunday dinner? Meat, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, mashed potato, gravy, etc.

Am I right in thinking that the saying “calories in, calories out” means eat less and exercise more? Because if someone just eats very little then his or her body will go into starvation mode and actually store that fat, right?
It's about providing the body with the right fuel for the exercise you are doing. Yes if you stress your body it will try to store all it can to preserve itself.

As an aside I've noted comments that you can "earn calories." This is simply untrue you don't earn the right to eat more than you should. If you've burned more calories than an app expects just enjoy the satisfaction don't believe for one moment you've earned some extra eating.

You also asked if drinking a lot means you will feel bloated. No you won't but you will pee more. I drink 3 litres per day, it's right for me. Today I've been on a 55 mile ride and drunk an additional 1.5 litres.

Other comments have been made about belly fat and it being difficult to shift as we get older. Yes it is more difficult but it is not especially difficult. I'm nearly 66 and my waist is currently 31". I'd like to shift a bit more but I'm not panicking.

Belly fat is dangerous. Shift it.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Since I was 16 I had been a 28” waist until a few years ago and now I’m between 30-32” depending on the brand. Ideally I want to get back down to a 28” waist so I can feel myself again. Is it too late for me to do that?

Top Bottom