Buildings and contents insurance?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by longers, 12 Feb 2008.

  1. longers

    longers Veteran

    I need to find insurance as per thread title.

    Any ideas where and where not to look? I don't know if it's worth getting in touch with a broker?

    I did use CIS a few years ago but they were a bit stingy on covering bikes.
    M and S get favourable mentions even though they are said to be a bit dearer than the rest, but their bike cover sounds good.
  2. simonali

    simonali Guru

    I went with the Halifax coz I wanted a name I knew, not just the cheapest fly-by-night outfit. Their unlimited one came out at around £300PA fixed for 3 years. My insurer before was Abbey, who I have my mortgage with and they wanted over £700 for the same cover!

    Can't remember the exact details on the bikes, but I didn't have to specify them individually because the standard cover was more than enough.
  3. 4F

    4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

    Direct Line for me. By principle I only deal with companies that have UK call centres.
  4. bonj2

    bonj2 Guest

  5. Abitrary

    Abitrary New Member

    Had a hybrid commuter bike stolen recently. Rang up brittania who do my household insurance, got rang up by legal and general who do it for brittania next day. It took about 5 minutes and got a cheque for 300 odd quid a couple of days later.Think as long as you report it to the police straight away youre ok.

    I was a bit disappointed because I expected a bit of a row that I could tell people about in the pub. But that is what these companies do, take the fun of the working man away in some way or other.
  6. fossyant

    fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

    South Manchester
    I still use CIS - you can get specific cover for bikes over their limit, and it's very reasonable...
  7. Liverpool Victoria this year Longers. It changes and 'swombo' sorts out the best deal for the £ - all things considered etc.
  8. eSure. Mind you my bike is under the named items limit, and we were a bit more limited by not needing buildings insurance as we rent.

    Don't touch Norwich Union with a ten foot pole (long story).
  9. domtyler

    domtyler Über Member

    Be careful with these new for old policies, they don't give you a cheque but a voucher for their choice of shop, i.e. Halfords.
  10. User482

    User482 Guest

    M&S insure any item, including bikes, up to £4k. For a small extra fee you also get away from home cover. There are no onerous restrictions regarding the type of security you need to use. Supposedly they also pay out without fuss.
  11. OP

    longers Veteran

    Thanks for your advice everybody.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice