Buildings and contents insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I need to find insurance as per thread title.

Any ideas where and where not to look? I don't know if it's worth getting in touch with a broker?

I did use CIS a few years ago but they were a bit stingy on covering bikes.
M and S get favourable mentions even though they are said to be a bit dearer than the rest, but their bike cover sounds good.

simonali

Guru
I went with the Halifax coz I wanted a name I knew, not just the cheapest fly-by-night outfit. Their unlimited one came out at around £300PA fixed for 3 years. My insurer before was Abbey, who I have my mortgage with and they wanted over £700 for the same cover!

Can't remember the exact details on the bikes, but I didn't have to specify them individually because the standard cover was more than enough.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Direct Line for me. By principle I only deal with companies that have UK call centres.

Abitrary

Had a hybrid commuter bike stolen recently. Rang up brittania who do my household insurance, got rang up by legal and general who do it for brittania next day. It took about 5 minutes and got a cheque for 300 odd quid a couple of days later.Think as long as you report it to the police straight away youre ok.

I was a bit disappointed because I expected a bit of a row that I could tell people about in the pub. But that is what these companies do, take the fun of the working man away in some way or other.

domtyler

Über Member
Be careful with these new for old policies, they don't give you a cheque but a voucher for their choice of shop, i.e. Halfords.

U

User482

M&S insure any item, including bikes, up to £4k. For a small extra fee you also get away from home cover. There are no onerous restrictions regarding the type of security you need to use. Supposedly they also pay out without fuss.

Top Bottom