Built-in lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
There's a bike on ebay which is described as being a 'vintage Raleigh' with a lock built-in to the forks. Has anybody come across anything like this before?

Stonepark

Über Member
I put a frame lock on my Hybrid, popular on the continent, below is an example.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abus-Amparo...DNRA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347614432&sr=8-2

Can't ride bike away (but could throw it in back of a van) but idea for short stops or in the shed.

The only other lock is a skewer lock (which if in the front forks it may be) in which case changing the wheel will require the appropriate bit.

compo

Veteran
There's a bike on ebay which is described as being a 'vintage Raleigh' with a lock built-in to the forks. Has anybody come across anything like this before?

They were fairly common on Raleigh roadsters, and some other makes, many years ago. They don't immobilise the bike but just lock the steering. I used to have one but the key was long lost so never used the lock.

compo

Veteran
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCtrlGlAd5n_Xzv5gsUqztlBbrFhE0ebqvUgTxKSmnrZnypl4D.jpg

defy-one

Very common on HERO bikes of India. Each one had a key to releasee the bolt. It was affectuve as they were big brutish bikes that could and did take a whole family into town

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've done some Googling now and it seems that they weren't unusual on Raleighs in the 1970's. I wonder why they were phased out? They can't have been that ineffective otherwise they still wouldn't be on some Indian bikes.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I've done some Googling now and it seems that they weren't unusual on Raleighs in the 1970's. I wonder why they were phased out? They can't have been that ineffective otherwise they still wouldn't be on some Indian bikes.
i bet loads of people lost keys and then you will find that like most 1970's locks any near key would fit and release lock

Top Bottom