Bum! Chest Infection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have really been looking forward to a 200 next weekend with a 2.75AAA (Slaughtered in the Cotswolds) but yesterday, with a week to go, I've been smashed up with a nasty chest infection. Bloody kids bringing their germs back from school.

Anyone got some advice on a fast-track recovery scheme. I really want to ride. What say you?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry, but I think that you are probably not going to be fit to do a tough ride just a week from now!

The same thing happened to me for this year's Tour de Yorkshire sportive. I had to sit it out (£50+ wasted!) and it was about 3 weeks before I felt well enough to do a decent ride again.

Maybe you will make a miraculous recovery, but 'smashed up' doesn't sound like something you get over in a few days.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I'm getting that rotten feeling I may have to can my ride unless some sort of medical miracle takes place. I was feeling pretty fit and positive about this ride. They are a new series of Audax rides organised by Audax Club Bristol. I have done all the new ones and I'm gutted I might lose out. 2 rough nights, numb, creaking lungs, streaming eyes and nose. Oh woe is me.

If I had a mum, I'd be hollering right now.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I wouldn't rule out being able to ride at this stage. Just make sure you get plenty of rest, including time off work if necessary, and see how it goes.

It might seem frivolous to take time off work to ensure you're fit enough to do a bike ride but remember the principle of work to live, not live to work.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Self employed

Ah. That's a different matter.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Saunas and steam rooms are good for helping recovery. Most infections thrive in a particular temperature range, so by elevating your core temperature, you will help to eliminate the virus sooner. Steam rooms are useful for clearing the airways.

A week to go, don't ride, don't exert yourself and see how it goes. Not riding isn't great but it's a week. You might feel a little under prepared and slow on the day but you should have enough to carry you through.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used to find a 2 day bender sorts most things...you will feel better each day after for sure...

I think you know it's unlikely even tho us self employed types can shrug most shyte off

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Positive vibes from you lot have helped. You know I'm feeling a bit more positive. A lazy weekend and two lie ins past 0800 seem to have helped. Still creaking and some occasional hacking but otherwise I feel a whole lot more together. I even managed 4 hours on the tools today including a 10 foot topiary project I've been working on.

The signs are positive: I've printed off my route sheet and downloaded a TCX file for this weekend's 200. If I do it, I'm doing it slow. I even booked myself onto the Dartmoor Devil at the end of next month.

Or maybe be I'm just off my nut from oxygen depletion.

Top Bottom