Bum protection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ActiveCampers

Sure this has been done to death!

On a long CAMPING TOUR - what is top advice for bum protection :smile: Decent cycling shorts with padding, but do you wear boxers underneath? From friends, we hear arguments from both counts. I would normally wear "Silky/fitted" boxers and the wife seamless girlie shorts. Easier to wash/dry than the full shorts and allows some movement of the shorts without chaffing.

And we've had "chamois cream" mentioned to us. WTF! We're not leathery down there! But Amazon reviews are positive.

So do you use chamois cream, or sudo crème, and if so when - for riding or for post ride soothing? And doesn't a dollop of cream make the clothes a bit gunky?

I'm sure its different with a days ride and a washing machine, so only really focus on the touring aspect with limited clothes and limited laundry!

Bibs - shorts or longs depending on the weather - with some padding - sans underwear - wash every day if possible - I try to have shorts that have different pads - thinner for really hot weather - the thick pads can get like you have a sponge strapped to you - I've never used any sort of gunk

robing

Über Member
Briefs under padded shorts plus chamois cream. I know you are supposed to go commando but it doesn't work for me.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
-1 to the above from my perspective: NO briefs due to friction issues.

Padded shorts plus chamois cream. There's different ones but a basic cream is usually OK. Make sure the shorts are washed each day though.

U

User6179

No boxers or any cotton underneath as they retain moisture and will cause chaffing , I wear a liner short under my bibs like what footballers wear under their regular shorts, I wear them inside out so no seams are against my skin, I have done this for over 9 years and over 50000 miles, never chaffed, never used any cream.

OP
OP
A

ActiveCampers

lol. So different answers above :smile:
Last time we did 1000m ride, we only used cheap shorts (MuddyFox) and "silkyish fitted" boxers - and no chaffing. (40-45m a day)

Not going to use bibs, we're not in an endurance race, much more casual touring.
And probably (certainly) can't wash shorts daily :sad:

Sounds like its worth looking at chamois cream - is that for when riding rather than soothing?

No-one has even been able to explain the purpose of chamois cream to me. I think it is an anachronism from the days when chamois were still made from....well, chamois. Dead kid, if you like. Those used to get hard in the wash and I imagine that cream softened them a bit. However, I used mine straight out the wash and never felt affected by their temporary stiffness.

Secondly, sitting in the saddle is something you must get used to over time and distance. It is not something you can smear on or pull on.

Thirdly, shorts and bibs are not the same thing. Shorts work for some, bibs for others. It is a matter of preference.

Lastly, the shape of the pad - whether it bunches up or pulls away from where it is supposed to be positioned, is far more important than its thickness. Your pressure points on the saddle - both of them collectively - is about the size of one 5p coin. No amount of padding will increase the surface area and overcome your weight enough to make it feel better after a while in the saddle The only difference you will feel between a very thick and very thin pad is that the thick one makes you feel like you are wearing one of those hang-below-the-hips trousers that slackers considered fashion in 2005. They are really uncomfortable. If the padding thickness thing confuses you, go to your cupboard and squeeze a thick down parka and a thin Polartec top between thumb and forefinger. The surface area there approximates what you sit on. Squeeze hard and you'll notice that the padding seems to disappear. All you are left with is texture, which makes all the difference if chafing is an issue.

When you do get saddle sores, distinguish between ischemic sores (sub-cutaneous boils) and chafing. The latter can be soothed with cream. The former cannot.

snorri

Legendary Member
Some tourers consider achievement of a high daily mileage to be important , whilst I tend to stop quite frequently to study points of interest along the way. I have never suffered any problems on tours of up to 10 weeks duration and adhere to the following regime.
Baggy shorts to allow max air circulation, no padding no creams or lotions, fresh underwear(Marks & Spencer y front type, never boxers) every day, washing the bum area twice daily with soap and warm water, laundering the shorts at least weekly.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On a long CAMPING TOUR - what is top advice for bum protection :smile: Decent cycling shorts with padding, but do you wear boxers underneath?
Not sure why this would be different for camping:

Go for decent seamless pants with no padding. Buy the right padding once on the saddle if you can and not in every pair of pants. I don't want a thick sweat rag next to my skin and irritating seams circling my most sensitive parts (and yes, I've tried several brands - ouch!). Pants wear out quicker than saddles, designs change too often and you're not usually allowed to test-ride underwear (who would buy ex-demo ones anyway?) so even if you do find one that fits, it's unlikely to work for the long term because the design will change. You probably won't be getting them designed to fit you like some pros do, plus most people tour in less aggressive positions and it's very nice not to need to choose between getting dressed and walking round tourist attractions and lunch cafes basically in only your pants.

I like seamless long-leg bamboo undies lately. If it's hot, aim for every layer on your bum to be wicking - both pants and trousers. If it's cool, you may get away ignoring several bits of that advice before it causes problems, but when it's hot, it can all go wrong much much faster and it's difficult to recover while still riding much.

So do you use chamois cream, or sudo crème, and if so when - for riding or for post ride soothing? And doesn't a dollop of cream make the clothes a bit gunky?
I don't understand those creams. It seems too likely to trap sweat and carry skin bacteria to any damage. It seems like another case of using one problem-causer (cream) in an attempt to fix another (sweaty padded pants).

Nevertheless, I wash and moisturise pre-ride (Vaseline Intensive Repair is one I keep returning to), then let it dry/sink-in to avoid gunking clothes. I'm moisturising other bits because I suffer from various types of dry skin anyway, so it doesn't add much time to my routine.

Ideally, post-ride, I'd shower, change and wash the following day's (if needed) shorts, then swiss-roll them in a towel, press them nearly dry and hang them and the towel up to dry ready for the morning... but I've not always changed clothes until bedtime (dinner stop before reaching the destination, for example) and gotten away with it so far.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
No-one has even been able to explain the purpose of chamois cream to me.

I don't get it either. I've tried using it a few times and found it pretty unpleasant.

And probably (certainly) can't wash shorts daily :sad:

In that case, you should take a few spare pairs of shorts. I find good hygiene is far more effective protection on long rides than using any creams or padding. Make sure you're properly clean before you set off. Use baby wipes during the ride to keep yourself fresh, especially when riding on hot days, and after toilet breaks. And change your shorts for a clean pair EVERY DAY.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We all do things differently.

After a full day in the saddle, you may see the need for chamois cream. If you are wearing padded shorts. Do not wear anything under them...except the cream. The idea of the shorts, apart from the pad, is for you to have a crease free, flat surface underneath you.

I wear cream, a pair of padded shorts and a pair of bib shorts. Sort of double bagging. It works for me.

Last edited:

bigjim

Legendary Member
The only time I did not use Chamois cream on tour I ended up with a bad bleeding sore on my bum that almost spoilt the tour for me. I eventually got hold of some Buttbutter and the relief was immediate as the rest of my bum had started chafing. I was wearing padded shorts and was riding regular before the tour. I use it all the time now, unless I am riding a Brooks, and do not suffer from chafing. It is not worth the risk of a spoilt tour to me.

Top Bottom