Bum protection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You say it is obvious that saddle pressure (distribution) varies with saddle height. However, you use two extreme examples. They are not valid for my argument. Within a range where your pelvis does not rock and your knees don't come up too high - a range that bike fitters can still fine tune within - there is no difference wrt pressure.
I used the extreme examples because they make it most obvious that saddle height does affect pressure. Now you've changed to claiming that they're only independent within some limits, which I suspect is still wrong - if there is an argument for that claim, then please make it. So far I see only assertions.

However, this is getting awfully picky. My point was ischemic sores are caused by saddle pressure. Abrasive movement causes abrasions and the two are not the same and treatment/prevention is differnt. If you are prone to pressure sores, make a point to occasionally stand and pedal in order to get blood flow back. It may help.
I'm fine with the general point that sores can be caused by excessive pressure, but I don't think it's a necessary part of cycling or that occasional standing-pedalling is likely to be a long-term cure.

hoopdriver

Guru
When I am riding my bicycle I never stand. I just don't. And the original post upon which I commented was specifically discussing pedalling - moving forward on the bike, not being out of the saddle at stoplights. And in point of fact, when one is riding through long stretches of empty desert - as I have on many a touring day - there are remarkably few traffic lights or junctions.

hoopdriver

Guru
Saddle height has nothing to do with it. You will exert the same pressure irrespective of saddle height. The only way to relieve pressure is to stand. Admittedly, when you sit and pedal hard you do relieve some of the pressure but that's cyclical and probably unnatural to your normal pedaling style.

Or have I misunderstood you?

robing

Über Member
I have changed to commando! I'm on tour in Spain and France at the moment. It's now incredibly hot but the first few days were wet. With briefs they just got wet and made my bum sore. So ditched the briefs, still using the chamois cream to prevent chafing. I got some new shorts recently, it's not til you replace your old ones that you realise how worn out they were and padding no good.

Top Bottom