Bummer, Drugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bonj, you don't know what you are talking about. As usual.

Elmer, the fact that she got so upset is the key to this. My inference is that she has been overdoing it and knows it, tried to stop, had a slip and is upset about it. This says to me that the problem might be a serious one. Remember it's not about quantity, frequency, type or quality of the drug - it's about what it does to the person.

She's admitting that she has a problem and that is a great start. Narcotics Anonymous may be worth suggesting, but it sounds very early for that. Most drug users go down a long way before they end up there. Try to get her to think about when she uses, why, what circumstances, whether she's using because she feels inadequate, frightened, because it makes her more confident/witty/attractive (I mean in her opinion), what are her feelings around drugs and their use.

If she has a problem and is looking for recovery, it will be a long, slow process. You won't resolve anything in the course of a few hours. Just take it slow, let her talk, don't be judgemental, and try and keep the trust.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't want to talk about it at all and puts it down to "being a bit pissed, sorry Dad".

My thoughts are with you both.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and comments. Big huggles and kisses are on the cards for next weekend.

Top Bottom