bump in my rear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kedab

Veteran
evening all...

i hope that we're all doing spiffingly well. i have, again, been away for ages and here i am, returning cap in hand and seeking knowledge from those more savvy than this wretch.

i just changed my tyres. wasn't getting on with the Vittoria Zaffiro Pro that the bike came with and so switched to the ubiquitous GatorSkin. they seem very sticky. i like them...

they went on fine, i didn't even skin my knuckles and i thought everything all was good. had a quick roll around outside, no worries. until i went out earlier for a proper ride.

once i was out of the village and off the terrible roads i noticed that it felt like the rear wheel was somehow squared off. roll, bump, roll, bump roll, bump and so on. i pulled over,checked, all seemed well, spun the rear and eyeing it up i noticed that it appeared to not be perfectly round? it seemed flatter in one place?

got it home, released the tire, checked the tube, all seems okay, put it back together, checked it again and to my untrained naked eye, it looks fine.

any ideas if a tire can be made out of true, or if i twisted it or the tube somehow when i put it on first time?

if it still doesn't feel good tomorrow when i check it out on the road, given that the wheel is fine,do i have a dodgy tire that needs to go back or have i been a total doofus and missed something obvious?

as always, thanks for the help you luvverly people!

Try changing the tubes over may not be inflating correctly !
swap the tyres front to back .... check to see if the tyre bead is in the rim of the wheel correctly

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
Try changing the tubes over may not be inflating correctly !
swap the tyres front to back .... check to see if the tyre bead is in the rim of the wheel correctly
cheers buddy - the bead is the first thing i checked. i made that mistake on my old bike. swapping the tubes makes perfect sense - i shall do that if my handiwork makes no difference. if not, then i'll swap the tyres. if none of that works, i'll be proper flummoxed! :huh:

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
It isn't seated properly, with part of the tyre bead down in the well rather than on its bed. Let the air out a most completely then work your way round the wheel pushing and pulling the sidewall to see if that gets it in place. Dusting with talc as a lubricant can help. Alternatively you can try overinflating it to see if that shifts it.
i bloomin well love this website - that would never have occurred to me and even though i did check the bead for an obvious problem, i didn't know to check it like that. many thanks :thumbsup:

Top Bottom