bump on tyre wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

knonist

The rear tyre (new) was fine for a couple of months, and since the bike came back from it services last Friday, I have had 2 bumps on the side wall with in a week, and everytime I had to deflate during the commute to fix it.

Why it is happening and it there anything to fix it without removing the tyre off the rim completely?

Matthames

Über Member
What do the bumps look like exactly and is it occuring in the same part of the tyre?

It could be that the shop has damaged your rear tyre when they had to take it off to replace the spoke.

OP
OP
K

knonist

it is a bump on the sidewall, creating a 3-4 mm "gap" between the rim and tyre.
the inner tube could pop out.

I can feel it during the ride because it creates a bump everytime the wheel makes a revolution.

Norm

Assuming that the rim isn't way out of true, next time you deflate, try to re-seat the tyre on the opposite side of the rim.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
The beading on the tyre may be pinching the inner tube so creating 'bumps' or not allowing the beading to settle completely into the rim.
You have to ensure that the tyre is seated nicely.
Was the inner tube replaced?
I have to be extra careful if choosing my inners.. Spesh ones even tho are marked up 18 - 25 are too big.. so have to use Conti inners which are the same marking but fit perfectly

OP
OP
K

knonist

problem fixed.
when the lbs re-fitted my rear tyre, they failed to seat the valve, thus the tube got pinched between the rim and the bead, thus causing a small cut on the surface of the tube.

I didnt change the tube as I dont have a thin one with me. but I have took a picture of the bump and will get them to replace it for me in the next day or so.

PS, the spoke cost 85p, and they charged me 12.50 to fit it, 25quid for a check up to ensure everything is OK and 8 quid to clean my chain without telling me it is chargeable in advance. better still, I have to spend 1/2 hr in the dark "fixing" their problems, and another 45mins or so in their shop argue my way through for a re-do.

Top Bottom