Bump.....TSSSSSSSSSSS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

On the way to work tonight ......2 miles into the commute hit a rock in the road on my road bike. I thought, that can only lead to trouble!

Sure enough about a milisecond later the puncture fairy showed her ugly side.

I thought never mind i have a tin of Geax tube repair in by bag. This stuff inflates and seals a puncture in one easy action............does it bugger!

It gave a satisfying hiss as i put it on the valve and then started emit what looked like soap suds from my tyre rim. Maybe its supposed to do that i thought and carried on regardless. Once the tin was spent the tyre was still as deflated as the look on my face. With no-one at home to call to come and pick me up and work still 10 mile away i resigned myself to a 2 mile walk home in the rain to get changed and pick up the car.

I would have tried to repair the tube with a patch but it was pitch black and raining so i thought ah well it will only take 10 mins to walk home. Funnilly enough it does'nt it takes about 25 GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

bonj2

never trust products that claim to be a 'magic' solution. If in doubt, remember my motto - if it was that good, why isn't it the standard?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
a) Sealants are never going to work on a snakebite or other large hole.
:biggrin: If it's raining, it's often not easy to get a patch to stick
c) A patch is only a temporary solution on a snakebite - the little slits have a tendency to grow out from underneath the patch.

Lessons:
a) take a spare tube (or two) so you can quickly swap
:biggrin: keep your tyres pumped up hard enough

If you don't want to carry a proper pump, you can use one of those CO2 cartridge inflators.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

When you say keep your tyres pumped up hard enough.......what is hard enough? Do you inflate to the pressure thats on the tyre? cos i have a mate that says you should under-inflate as this will protect you better against punctures, but i have also read that they should be pumped up to the max and this is better protection against punctures .....whos right?

I dont mind carrying a pump in fact i have a small handpump attached to my frame. I guess the moral is to carry spare innertubes, but i always have a nightmare getting the tyre off and on again and so the 2 mile walk home seemed more attractive than killing myself trying to remove the tyre.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I can't add too much as I'm inexperienced but, the majority of my punctures (probably about 90%) were snakebites caused by too low a pressure.

Since I've been running higher pressures on both the MTB and roadbike I haven't had a single problem (resigns himself to some lengthy bike pushes this weekend :biggrin:)

My roadie has quite wide tyres (26mm) and some of my commute involves high speeds down a long, steep hill on a very rough road surface. Because of this if I have the pressure too high I get virtually shaken from the bike so I have to keep it down a bit and run 80psi front and 90 back which seems to work for me.

I think these are generally lower pressures than most people run as it is, athough as I say they are wide tyres.

If I let the rear drop to 80, then I seem to risk snakebites (I am very heavy though :biggrin:)

HTH somehow,

Edit: Forgot to add, I always carry 2 tubes as well as a repair kit. Call me paranoid but punctures always seem to happen dead centre of a ride which on my commute means a 8.5 mile walk, something I'm very keen to avoid :sad: just the clicking of the cleats on tarmac would drive me mad over that amount of time :biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
If anything i overinflate my tyres. using lower pressures is only simething to be considered for off road to get more traction. Your top speed will be better with hard tyres as well.

I got a deal on 10 (?) innerubes from CRC and always carry 2, 2-3 tyre levers, CO2 inflator and a mini pump.

That way I can sort out the puncture in the warm, at home.

I'll use the minipump at roadside to partially inflate the innertube to see if I can spot where the puncture was.

It gives an idea roughly where to check inside the tyre for foreign objects, before putting the new tube in.

It really is worth practicing the art of replacing tubes, it's an acquired skill. Having the ability to bang a new tube in and get going again in a few minutes is such a pleasure when you've got miles to go, its pissing down, cold, you're running late, hungover.....

I did a couple of bike maintenance classes over the summer to a group of quite experienced cyclists and they were genuinely gobsmacked at the speed I could change a tube. Being a cycle mechanic for so long obviously helped, if you're doing it every day you cant help but get fast, and its a skill that I really treasure. Watch someone who's quick and learn from them and what used to be a chore to be avoided will become a source of pleasure.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Not a bike mechanic, just a recent convert to cycling. Even I can take it easy and be back on the road in less than 5 mins from noticing the puncture.

Best advice I can give is to get a digital pressure gauge (they’re only a couple of quid now) that way you can once a week check your tyres are bang on pressure. Everytime you go out, just have a quick feel of the tyres hardness as well.

I’ve not had many ‘unscheduled deflations’ but lower than max pressure was a contributing factor on the majority, road and MTB.

I’ve learnt my lesson

Tetedelacourse

Mickle do you use tyre levers? I've never changed a tube in my life without them but I seem to remember someone here saying they shouldn't be used. I can't see how I would manage without, given the tension the tyre gets to as I try to snap onto the rims.

I'm of the "harder the better" school. Says something about my education aye aye.

Have had a fair amount of visits, takes me about 10 mins to change a tube, 15 to repair a hole, but that time's taken up with a good deal of daydreaming, scratching my arse and saying hello to passers-by.

Arch

Married to Night Train
got-to-get-fit said:
I would have tried to repair the tube with a patch but it was pitch black and raining so i thought ah well it will only take 10 mins to walk home. Funnilly enough it does'nt it takes about 25 GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

If you can normally walk two consecutive 5 minute miles, I'd see about getting yourself on the Olympic team for something...

trj977

Über Member
I also go for the harder the better theory. I would also highly recommend the using of a track pump, one with a built in gauge.
Well worth the outlay in the amount of time and effort saved.

Top Bottom