'bumpy' chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Was out on the bike tonight and noticed it seems to have developed a weird little problem.

In a certain couple of gears (the main ones I'm using) it seemed to feel like the chain wasn't rotating around smoothly and it wasn't grinding exactly but felt lumpy or bumpy is the best way to describe it. Freshly cleaned chain and lubed today.

I suspect the chain is either worn and or the cassette is worn.

Any ideas? I'm going to get the chain measuring tool out a little bit later and have a look.

The indexing seems fine as the gears and changing smoothly.

jpb

Sounds like the chain is worn to me and probably needs replacing!

barongreenback

Über Member
If the chain is badly worn bear in mind you'll probably need to replace the cassette is well. A chain wear tool (I use the Park one) is a good investment if like me, you can't be bothered to squint at a ruler. If you haven't done that many miles on the chain there might be a few stiff links?

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Doesn't seem to be chain wear - just got round to measuring it and it doesn't slot into the .75 amount of wear.

Strange as to what's going on.

Going to try and get in touch with a mechanic to diagnose the problem.

sad.gif

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yeah, I've changed the chain, not 100% sure it's resolved the problem but has caused a new problem of it not changing down into the smallest chainring.

Am peeved with the bike at the moment but will come back to it later.

Hard to answer the question as it was a second hand bike that I got from here.
A new chain will do it good and in time I'll get the bike sorted as it's the one that goes most places as I don't mind leaving him locked up outdoors.

smithy92

If the chain has been changed quite a few times the cassette may have worn repeatedly and unevenly (chain and cassette wear together), so the newest chain may not be at 0.75% worn however the cassette may be past it.

Top Bottom