Bunged up bath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
how I free up our tub drain
remove strainer w/o losing screw down the drain
clean strainer & screw & put aside
using 2 devices, a cut & bent coat hanger & long thin plastic tool for the purpose
1682344064486.png

1682344108587.png

remove hair & sludge buildup manually
this takes a while & can be pretty gross
pull it out, wrap it in paper towel, throw it out
then & only then do I use drain declogger products, like the drain-o gel type
before pouring it in tho I get a bucket & fill it with hot water & set it aside
pour in 1/2 bottle of the declogger & wait. at least as long as the instructions say, sometimes another 5 minutes
then dump in the hot water from a height giving it a little more push
& turn on tub faucet w/ more hot water
let that drain
repeat

that usually does the trick for us

add a tiny drop of anti seize on the strainer screw then wipe it down well
replace strainer & screw, do not over tighten
we had 1 episode many years ago, the first time I had to do this, where the screw was rusted in place & broke when I tried to unscrew it
then I had to drill out the remaining portion & tap that threaded hole & buy a new screw
so now I take great care with that little screw, not to lose it, to keep it clean, make sure it has a trace amount of lube & don't over tighten it
1682344027811.png

good luck!

Last edited:
We got an unblocker "kit" a few years ago. A bottle of the usual caustic gel type unblocker plus a flexible plastic wire with a handle and several moulded hooks. The liquid was standard stuff but the wire thing is great. The idea is you feed it down the hole into the U and pull it back and the hooks bring back all the clag. Especially effective with long hair (i.e. my daughter's)

Those things are amazing for something so simple/cheap!

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I tried to put some Slam plughole unblocked down the bath drain. But since I can't get the water out it was a bit of a fail. It appears that the u bend is particularly tight. I've tried all sorts including a brake cable, to get to the blockage to no avail. I have a horrible feeling that some disassembly of the side panel is called for.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I tried to put some Slam plughole unblocked down the bath drain. But since I can't get the water out it was a bit of a fail. It appears that the u bend is particularly tight. I've tried all sorts including a brake cable, to get to the blockage to no avail. I have a horrible feeling that some disassembly of the side panel is called for.

get as much water out as you can - you can use a cloth to soak and wring out the last bits (do not start sucking up drain unblocking chemicals) and then have another go with the Slam.

Top Bottom