Burger King to sponsor pro team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So what's going on here? A fast food chain sponsoring a cycling team. The type of food that most cyclists would avoid.
Are they trying to give the brand a new image or is it just another way to promote themselves?
Speak for yourself.

Perhaps professional cyclists in training, or people who are fussy about their diets, but most cyclists that I know are not fussy about where they stop for a snack. I know all the Gregg's on my routes.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I remember trying their " Spicy Beanburger " back in the '80s and being very impressed. I'd not previously visited a Burger King, but I was with friends and we'd just finished the Winchester Marathon. I was only going to have some chips but spotted the Beanburger on the menu and thought I'd try it. I finished my "Spicy beanburger with fries" and enjoyed it so much that I immediately ordered the same again.

I remember trying their " Spicy Beanburger " back in the '80s and being very impressed. I'd not previously visited a Burger King, but I was with friends and we'd just finished the Winchester Marathon. I was only going to have some chips but spotted the Beanburger on the menu and thought I'd try it. I finished my "Spicy beanburger with fries" and enjoyed it so much that I immediately ordered the same again.
yes i liked that - didn't they do away with it/change it?
It was quite tasty and crunchy as I remember.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I believe most drive thru restaurant's wont let your "drive" thru on a bike or on foot for 'elf and safety reasons.
I think I've read that there's a McDonald's in Copenhagen that has a dedicated bike lane.

I don't know if it's true tho. And who knows, I may have made it up.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think I've read that there's a McDonald's in Copenhagen that has a dedicated bike lane.

I don't know if it's true tho. And who knows, I may have made it up.
I think that is true, Copenhagen is one of the most bike friendly cities, so likely there as anywhere.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I believe most drive thru restaurant's wont let your "drive" thru on a bike or on foot for 'elf and safety reasons.
What effing safety reasons are those then? Any sane analysis of them should conclude either that they aren't enough to act upon or that motorists should be banned from the entire site.

Nevertheless, insane owners means cyclists are not allowed to ride-through Muck Donalds because of "the limited visibility of cycles and the difficulties of carrying food and drinks and retaining full control of a bicycle" (tell that to my regular food shopping and how does that not apply to cycling to/from their bike racks with a takeaway too? And is it OK to drive with food and drink loose in the cabin?), Costa Planet Coffee because they do not class pedal cycles as vehicles, and Starbuckwits "for your safety" (protection from their overcooked coffee?).

Boycott all of them IMO. Most local independents love to have cyclists ride up. Even better, there are a few in lightweight traffic neighbourhoods who really welcome you and there are now some takeaway vans in places like Cambridge who have turned so the serving window faces the cycleway, with their windowless back to the cars :smile:

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
https://www-cyclingweekly-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cyclingweekly.com/amp/news/burger-king-to-sponsor-mens-professional-team-in-2022?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/burger-king-to-sponsor-mens-professional-team-in-2022

So what's going on here? A fast food chain sponsoring a cycling team. The type of food that most cyclists would avoid.
Are they trying to give the brand a new image or is it just another way to promote themselves?
On the contrary, ultra distance cyclists and touring cyclists, plan their routes via the Golden Arches. Cheap protein food, virtually the same all over the world, toilets, driers, wifi and electric chargers.

I am a Burger King fan and would love the jersey. But sponsoring a pro team does sound odd.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On the contrary, ultra distance cyclists and touring cyclists, plan their routes via the Golden Arches. Cheap protein food, virtually the same all over the world, toilets, driers, wifi and electric chargers.
Ultra distance ones maybe, as their priorities value predictability and long opening hours over much else, but touring cyclists? Maybe some, but not generally. Local food is part of the touring experience for many.

Top Bottom