Bus driver fired.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

What's interesting is that they have told you that the driver has been fired. I thought they weren't supposed to tell you what happens to the driver due to confidentiality etc?

I don't think there's an issue with confidentiality, all we know that a driver has been fired, but not his name or anything else to identify him.

I haven't celebrated anyone losing their job since Blair resigned, and it is sad that this chap was so dangerously clueless that he posed such a risk.

Kudos to the bus company for taking their responsibility seriously.

I see far too much mobile use. And I know that the Police see it & ignore it, which is annoying and scary in equal measure. Again, I just wish people had the good sense not to do it.

I don't think there's an issue with confidentiality, all we know that a driver has been fired, but not his name or anything else to identify him.

The reason I mention it, is that every other bus company response that I have seen has refused to clarify the action taken 'due to confidentiality'. I've always wondered why they felt they could not let you know the outcome. Perhaps it isn't because of confidentiality at all......

dodgy

The reason I mention it, is that every other bus company response that I have seen has refused to clarify the action taken 'due to confidentiality'. I've always wondered why they felt they could not let you know the outcome. Perhaps it isn't because of confidentiality at all......

It's just a cop out, same as 'for data protection reasons' etc. Push them on it and it's obvious they don't have a clue.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

That's certainly a result. I wouldn't say 'good' result as it is never nice to hear of someone loosing their job. However, it was their own fault and certainly the best result for other road users.

Of course, it's not good for the driver that he's been fired.

But frankly it's a good result for everyone else - cyclists, pedestrians, other motorists, and passengers on his bus. He was either ignorant, or (worse) fully aware that what he was doing was illegal and dangerous, and chose to use his phone regardless.

OP
OP
C

chillyuk

I take no pleasure in this driver losing his job. As has been said his family will suffer.

I make no apologies for reporting him but I hope he has learned a lesson and can somehow pick up his life again.

Jezston

Über Member
I take no pleasure in this driver losing his job. As has been said his family will suffer.

I make no apologies for reporting him but I hope he has learned a lesson and can somehow pick up his life again.

I doubt the driver would have been fired without a "do this again and your fired" type warning. I have no sympathy for him.

asterix

Comrade Member

His family would have suffered more if he'd gone on to kill someone. You did right.

Sorry, chillyuk. I didn't mean to lay a guilt trip on you. I do report driver myself, and one has been charged for his actions. I had a bit of a guilt trip over that one, although weighing the consequences of his actions up, it was definitely the right thing to do.

Good on you for getting something done about some bad driving!:smile:

Origamist

Legendary Member
The driver loses his job and this is a "good result" ? What planet are you lot on?

A planet where other road users and bus passengers can be protected from irresponsible, law beaking and dangerous PCV drivers who should know better?

davefb

Guru
I wish i'd concentrated more when, ( a number of years ago and in my car)

approaching where a bus lane ends and middle lane merges, at some lights, i'm in middle, passing a bus stationary at stop. stop about 2/3 way down bus 'in traffic'. if lights change , i'll be able to pass bus.

i can see he's on the phone from my position. he doesnt look to see me, he just sets off ( no lights) when the traffic lights go red.

I can't move as he cuts me off in front,, and i can 'feel' the bus against the car.... i know he didnt see me, those mirrors work both ways, i could just see him talking on his phone.. i basically was stunned when i got to work ( shaking!) to see there wasnt any bus paint down the side of the car!

feckers..

still, i have to say i'd hope this driver was given a previous chance , rather than 'one mistake gone' , though maybe he had..

Top Bottom