Bus Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

TwickenhamCyclist said:
Furthermore – there is absolutely no compulsion to be “in” the cycle lane even if one is present. Some “professional” drivers really should know better.

Indeed. Although the presence or absence of a cycle lane seems to have little to do with whether or not you'll have 'get in the cycle lane!' yelled at you. I have, confusingly, had that kind of thing shouted at me three times lately, and on no occasion was there a cycle lane.

I was told once, after one really close and illegal overtake on Hammersmith Bridge, that “You’re not allowed to cycle on this bit road because there isn’t a cycle lane..” I’m not proud of my actions but the car ended up with a massive dent in the bodywork!

TwickenhamCyclist said:
I was told once, after one really close and illegal overtake on Hammersmith Bridge, that “You’re not allowed to cycle on this bit road because there isn’t a cycle lane..” I’m not proud of my actions but the car ended up with a massive dent in the bodywork!
The only problem is that despite being in the right, if the driver looses it then the cyclist will always come off worst in an intentional vehicle impact. You kick his door and he squishes you against a bus.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Just googled Daniel Cadden. Never heard of that case before, very interesting and I'm glad he appealed. I'm glad I held my ground against the bus driver (and didn't swear, I was very polite).

There are sections of the A55 you can't cycle on as it goes though tunnels - you have to get off and go through Conwy, and past Llanfairfechan there is a pathetic excuse of a joint path, I believe I've posted the link before;
http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/cyclg_penyclip.htm

Now it has been deemed "unsuitable for cyclists"
http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/ncr5_conwy_llanf.htm

Thankfully I never have cause to cycle past Llanfairfechan (I did go to Penmaenmawr the next village once to visit my Godparents, but that was horrible - you had to cross over both carriageways). I think if I ever decide to cycle to, say Llandudno/Colwyn Bay end I'd go through Bethesda, Betws Y Coed, Llanrwst and come out at Glan Conwy. Somewhat longer but far more pleasant.

Catrike UK said:
The only problem is that despite being in the right, if the driver looses it then the cyclist will always come off worst in an intentional vehicle impact. You kick his door and he squishes you against a bus.

True – but they would have to catch me first – which isn’t going to happen around Hammersmith Broadway ;)

yenrod

Hairy Jock said:
This morning I saw a bus driver trying to tell two horse riders that horses shouldn't be on the road. Not very clever as both riders where wearing Hi-Viz jackets with Police written in big letters across them. :laugh:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom