bus lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
You can cycle in them everywhere I've been to.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
if it says you can then you can.... but that won't stop some impatient twunt of a bus driver trying to squeeze past as they take advantage of their stated right of way. Personally I'd rather not share a lane with a bus, especially if there's no space for a bus to pull out and safely overtake.

Each is an individual case and signed (hopefully) appropriately

Like no entry exemptions there should be a sign indicating the vehicles allowed.

Rough rule, no cycle then you are not allowed.

IIRC there were a number of cyclists in London fined for this offence during the recent "safety" clampdown

atbman

Veteran
From that website:
Vehicles that drive, park or stop in Stockton's bus lanes may be recorded by CCTV cameras.
Stockton Council will issue Penalty Charge Notices to people who illegally use bus lanes. The scheme was piloted in Stockton High Street and is now being extended to other busy routes with bus lanes.
This scheme helps make our public transport system as reliable and punctual as possible. Our bus lanes provide a clear route for buses; pedal cycles and other limited authorised vehicles, although priority is given to buses.
Reduced congestion makes the roads safer for pedestrians and cyclists.

sidevalve

Über Member
Some you are some you arn't. If you are cool - they are always signed everywhere I've been. Can't see as it would be too difficult to dodge the odd bus. If you can't deal with ANYBODY else being on the road give and a buy a ticket for the bus.

openroad

Don't really like cycling in a lane with buses have come across quite a few drivers who almost want to push you of the road out of the cycle /bus lane !!!.

BrynCP

Über Member
All the lanes here I know in Hull allow it, but they are clearly shown on the bus lane signs as authorised. Taxis are allowed too.

What makes me laugh about bus lanes, is that all the ones here are timed to peak hours, yet even outside of those hours cars avoid them. Makes it good for cycling though as you tend to have the lane to yourself!

Case by case basis and should be signed but there's been a few cases iirc of ones signed no cars, no bikes, etc but the TROs are not in place.

BikeLiker

You can't tell from this pic but this sign, in Runcorn, has had the bike painted out from it. Don't know if this makes cycling in it the lane illegal or whether it's just the local authority's way of discouraging cyclists. You can legally cycle on the road next to the bus lane.
untitled.JPG

You can't tell from this pic but this sign, in Runcorn, has had the bike painted out from it. Don't know if this makes cycling in it the lane illegal or whether it's just the local authority's way of discouraging cyclists. You can legally cycle on the road next to the bus lane.
View attachment 39175
I cant quite see but if thats a cycle pictured below the bus, a bike can legally enter the bus lane; if it says taxi they cant if the correct TROs are in place.

BikeLiker

I cant quite see but if thats a cycle pictured below the bus, a bike can legally enter the bus lane; if it says taxi they cant if the correct TROs are in place.

It says taxi. The bike symbol has been painted out on the sign.
Do you know whether it's true that, for a TRO to be enforceable, it's terms must be written on the back of the signage?

Last edited:

BSRU

A Human Being
The signs/markings are quite poor in Swindon in some cases, so I asked the councils transport department, they stated they were all open to cyclists except contraflow bus lanes and a couple of traffic controlled bus gates.

It says taxi. The bike symbol has been painted out on the sign.
Do you know whether it's true that, for a TRO to be enforceable, it's terms must be written on the back of the signage?
Nope it doesn't need to be printed on the sign, never heard that before, think of the chaos with vandals/weather etc and some TROs are lengthy. They only need to be published in the press before imple

Top Bottom