Bus pass applied for.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Starting tomorrow, in fact!

I thought my sister would pick me up from the railway station after she finished work but it turns out that she only does a half day on Thursdays. If I catch the bus it will save her driving to Exeter to get me.

I assume that bus passes these days are all contactless so you just have to wave them over a card reader? :whistle:

In West Coast Motors area ( anywhere from Campbelltown to Oban and Mull) you buy your tickets on line and wave your phone at the ticket machine on the bus. So my DIL tells me anyway and the ticket gives unlimited travel all day.

Pedalabitslower

Veteran
Some of the Borders buses carry bikes too. Link. Link2-Borders buses.

...and Eves coaches in East Lothian.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In West Coast Motors area ( anywhere from Campbelltown to Oban and Mull) you buy your tickets on line and wave your phone at the ticket machine on the bus. So my DIL tells me anyway and the ticket gives unlimited travel all day.

I worry about e-tickets. I have the option when I book rail tickets but I am only 5 minutes from the railway station so I cycle down there and pick up paper tickets printed on demand by the machine there instead. I have only dropped a phone once but it would be typically bad luck to do it again with a £100 e-ticket on it!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What's the chances it'll still be running by the time I'm old enough to get it? I'm not yet 50.

I have 4 years 9 months to wait. I reckon they'll move the goalposts just as I'm about to qualify for one, probably to 70 years old. Then when I get near 70......:rolleyes: You might get one in 30 years time, if they're still around, which I doubt they will be. I don't think they'll stop them suddenly, more phase them out by not handing out anymore, letting those that have one keep reapplying for new ones, till they eventually all die.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I get mine in November.

No bus comes to our village do no use for shopping etc. Not tha I would want to ditch the car anyway.

But there are some linear routes in the local mountains where I can dump the car at one end, bus to the other end and hike back.

Handy!

I won't use my pass for general getting around. Shorter journeys would be by bike or on foot. Longer journeys would be by bike or train. Very handy down here in Devon though. It saves my family picking me up at Exeter St. Davids station on my Devon visits and dropping me off when I go home. It also gives me the option of exploring places not served by trains that are a bit out of cycling range.

There are 3 or 4 bus routes in West Yorkshire and Lancashire that take me to nice places that are a scenic 3-4 hour walk from home.

Top Bottom