Bus pass applied for.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
£13 'pretty much free'... :eek:

There has never been a time in my 66 years that £13 has been a trifling sum of money!

Up until getting my pension in January, that was my budget for 2.5 days worth of shopping.

No, the £20 oyster card is (£13 daily cap was the demonstration of how free compared to full price).

Guess the £13 is relative to your income, it’s not a sum of money I pay much heed to in a restaurant, supermarket, pub, for clothing whatever. I go the office once a week if that so not especially for the transport either

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Yeah, but by the time you reach 60 they'll have been phased out!:okay:

Same for me when I reach 66.:ninja:

Are you not 66 yet? 😂

PK99

Legendary Member
Don't you have to have an Oyster photo card (costs £20) to qualify for free travel if you are aged from 60 to state pension age? So it is cheap travel but not free.

One-off payment on application (?to cover admin costs?)

Thereafter travel is free.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't used mine yet but I probably will in Devon. There is a good bus service to Exeter that I can use when visiting my sister.

Starting tomorrow, in fact!

I thought my sister would pick me up from the railway station after she finished work but it turns out that she only does a half day on Thursdays. If I catch the bus it will save her driving to Exeter to get me.

I assume that bus passes these days are all contactless so you just have to wave them over a card reader? :whistle:

I thought my sister would pick me up from the railway station after she finished work but it turns out that she only does a half day on Thursdays. If I catch the bus it will save her driving to Exeter to get me.

I assume that bus passes these days are all contactless so you just have to wave them over a card reader? :whistle:

It is Devon. You still have to hand it to the bus conductor who puts it in his little ticket machine to punch it.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

I find there is not much uniformity, ie, from memory, all buses have some form of contactless machine, but, they are not all the same, also, in some areas, driver asks for your destination, for some reason, and, in some areas a paper ticket is issued, in others, no ticket.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I find there is not much uniformity, ie, from memory, all buses have some form of contactless machine, but, they are not all the same, also, in some areas, driver asks for your destination, for some reason, and, in some areas a paper ticket is issued, in others, no ticket.

That's what I was wondering. I used my pass for the first time a couple of days ago in Exeter. I watched a couple of pensioners get on the bus before mine and I could see the card scanner and a led which changed from yellow to green to show the card was accepted. I didn't have to say where I was going and didn't get a ticket.

I thought that the driver might ask for destination so the bus company could keep track of how many passengers used their buses, and where. They obviously know where people get on, but if you don't tell them the destination then they won't know who got off where.

Top Bottom