Bus pass discrimination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Don’t the Scots pay higher taxes too?
It’s not discrimination, it’s democracy.
We do. 👍

The irony being they are a German Government owned company that run a cheaper, more efficient and reliable service back in the fatherland.

As a regular user of DB, I'll just say thank you.

Ironically, I've hardly ever seen an Arriva bus here: they're generally run by local towns or smallish local or regional companies.

I think a big difference here is that much of the time the main customer of the bus companies is the city or regional authority, who set the service levels and pay, or in some cases, own, the companies providing the services. This has the added advantage that a "bus pass" is actually an "all forms of transport pass" so when I worked in Stuttgart I could commute from my village via a bus, tram and another bus to work on one season ticket.

If only they could actually get them to connect instead of the bus arriving 30 seconds after the tram left, it would have been even better...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes it is! Discrimination against people who live in England! A supposed 'British' government allows parts of Britain benefits other parts aren't allowed. That's discriminating as far as I'm concerned.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The Arriva buses near me are super, 3 buses per hour into town, generally on time too, although I've had the odd one fail to turn up.

Can I ask a favour though while we're on the subject.... could you oldies from outside the county please just do all of the fare paying passengers a service, and avoid that first one after 0930?
What is it about the first available bus that means that the near dead *must* be on it? You have all day with sod all to do for God's sake! You're on the first bus, filling every seat, you get into town when half the shops haven't even opened, then you mill around looking bewildered for an hour before heading back home again with your bit of ham from Tesco.
I'll say it again, (because you're deaf).... You. Have. all. Day. To. Go. Into. Town.
So stop getting on the first bus and filling it with people stinking of lavender and eau de Brylcreem, you old gits.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Yes it is! Discrimination against people who live in England! A supposed 'British' government allows parts of Britain benefits other parts aren't allowed. That's discriminating as far as I'm concerned.
But it is not something that the British government has any say in as it is obviously a devolved matter.
Perhaps instead you should be campaigning for equality and the establishmemt of a devolved English government, which you could then persuade to provide you with a free bus pass.

classic33

Leg End Member
But it is not something that the British government has any say in as it is obviously a devolved matter.
Perhaps instead you should be campaigning for equality and the establishmemt of a devolved English government, which you could then persuade to provide you with a free bus pass.
Equalities Act 2011 should cover it.

But it comes up short too often.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
You own a car. You have no need for a bus pass. Feel free to write a strongly worded letter to the Daily Heil stating your reservations.

You have enough troubles at home with ‘difficult’ neighbours. Dont let trivial matters like this raise your blood pressure. It isn’t healthy.

Leaving aside @Roger Longbottom's point that this works both ways, and generally it's the other three nations that have had the rough end, it would seem that the result of what you're advocating is a centrally planned system where the state owns everything and everyone gets exactly the same. Anything else would be "discriminatory."

This was tried on a vast scale in the 20th century and it didn't work very well.

If you want England to benefit from the same policies as Scotland, Wales and NI, then you need to get people to vote for a government that will make things like bus passes a priority, or alternatively some form of federal system so things are decided on a more local basis. As English people seem to be dead against either, maybe moving to Scotland, Wales or NI would be an alternative...

Top Bottom