Bus rant (non cycling related)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
%^£$ing bus companies. Tried to help my mother out this afternoon by sorting out a route for her. She has to get right over to the other side of the city to pick up her car from a garage tomorrow so I go on the First website and do a bit of research...

...so after establishing the destination I click on their special box for route planning and type in "city centre" and the road she wants to get to. Only their website then suggests a load of routes which go nowhere near said road...

..a fair bit of searching later and I find the route map in pdf format. Looking at the map shows the number 22 heads right down said road so I click on the timetable page to find out when it departs and where from...

..only... it doesnt exist on the timetable page. :biggrin: For crying out loud, First, how are we supposed to take a bus somewhere if you make your whole flaming website bloody cryptic. Its nonsense. Its bad enough if I need the bus to go somewhere local it costs me nearly £3 for only a few miles, but you dont even help yourselves make that.

I feel sorry for the drivers trying to keep up with it all, I hope they are provided with the right information atleast. In the end I said to Mother: "get a taxi! It'll be a damn sight easier" :laugh:

Beardie

I have to say that I despair of public transport company websites which do not feature timetables. Sometimes this is more convenient than a journey planner, as I have the options laid in front of me.

You're dead right when you say it's cryptic (those slow-loading service maps, why are they always pdf when html does for everything else?) and I sometimes find that I spend more time planning the route than it takes to make the journey.

It's only the fact that I don't own a car which makes me persevere with it sometimes.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If it was just me I get on a bus and ask the driver, but this is different. Its a bit out of the way and complicated to get to so I dont think many drivers will know. :biggrin:

I agree about html. If it aint broke imo.

Top Bottom