Bush Buddy stove, opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

Bushbuddy.ca

Quite keen on the idea of this wood burning stove, to replace or join a multifuel stove. Has a positive review by a UK walker here. It appeals to me because the fuel (twigs and sticks) are free, and it is much more efficient and tidier than lighting a fire on the ground.

Only problem I can envisage is if you were heading off into places where wood supply was hard to come by. Above the tree line in the mountains, or desert areas maybe.

Does anyone know if they are available in UK, or if there are any other similar/better options.

Alves

I've seen a kettle version which was a bit bulky for back-packing or bike touring but also used any old combustible leaves and twigs.
There have been plenty of times though, when I would not have been able to find anything dry to burn, esp in Scotland and covering the base of pans with soot and tar is a mild problem with these sortof burners. I wonder if they were intended for drier climes than ours.
I like the simplicity and reliability of alcohol Trangias myself.

andym

Über Member
Some alternatives you might want to check out:

The Caldera Tri Tri -more expensive, because it's titanium, but most flexible alternative as it will work with alcohol and Esbit tablets as well;

J Falk's 'Bushwhacker' . There are some videos of it in action on the site. Single fuel but seems quite compact. DIY option. You could probably carry a small alcohol stove inside, and so cover all the bases;

Knowledge Publications' Biomass Stove. Most high tech alternative. Video on YouTube is interesting. Requires batteries for the fan though.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I wonder if Alves is referring to the Kelly kettle?

I've got one of those, and he's right, it is a problem finding stuff dry enough to burn in it, and I would suspect the same would be true of a stove.

No problem in California or South Africa, but I've never had much luck with my Kelly while working outdoors in Britain. I've usually had to resort to my multi-fuel stove (MSR) or Trangia for a brew.

andym

Über Member
The kelly kettle is pretty big but the new generation of wood burners are pretty small - both the bush buddy and bushwhacker are about 4 inches diameter and 4 inches or so high.

One approach would be to carry a stock of fuel. I would have thought that the weight wouldn't be too extreme.

Incidentally, the Bushwhacker site recommends the use of strips of old inner tube as fire starters - could be one use for old tubes.

andym

Über Member
Just found this. It basically looks like a (Dutch) copy of the Bush Buddy.

398_E.jpg

£49 from www.backpackinglight.co.uk.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
hubbike said:
Bushbuddy.ca

Quite keen on the idea of this wood burning stove, to replace or join a multifuel stove. Has a positive review by a UK walker here. It appeals to me because the fuel (twigs and sticks) are free, and it is much more efficient and tidier than lighting a fire on the ground.

Only problem I can envisage is if you were heading off into places where wood supply was hard to come by. Above the tree line in the mountains, or desert areas maybe.

Does anyone know if they are available in UK, or if there are any other similar/better options.

It's quite telling that there's not a plethora of recommendations for the wood burning stoves in any of the cycling forums. I enjoy a good fire as much as the next pyromaniac but my brief but unsatisfactory experiences with a kelly kettle - lack of dry fuel nowhere near as quick to set up and have a cup of tea as a trangia, multi fuel stove or even a paraffin only primus stove.

You can't beat having a stove at hand with the fuel in a canister or bottle.
No need to dodge the smoke either.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
vernon said:
It's quite telling that there's not a plethora of recommendations for the wood burning stoves in any of the cycling forums.
I think it's more suitable for walkers than cyclists. On foot, you can grab a pocketful of dry twigs as you pass them during the day, but on a bike you would probably end up setting up camp and then going to hunt for dry fuel.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
andrew_s said:
I think it's more suitable for walkers than cyclists. On foot, you can grab a pocketful of dry twigs as you pass them during the day, but on a bike you would probably end up setting up camp and then going to hunt for dry fuel.

They are great toys and appeal to those (including me) who like the challenege of keeping a miniscule fire going - been there done that got the t-shirt but at the end of a days cycling I like the fuss free routine of unpacking the Trangia, lighting the prefilled burner and having a cuppa in my hand by the time I've pitched my tent without the rigmarole of buggering around with tinder and nurturing the first reluctant flames if I can find something combustable.

I've almost talked myself into buying one just to burn the hedge trimmings - a life time of pyromania beckons - fuelled by the seasoned trimmings from a wayward Wysteria.:ohmy:

JackE

Über Member
The short DVD about the Bushbuddy copy on: www.backpackinglight.co.uk is worth watching. The guy has some interesting ideas to make it more versatile.
The Bushbuddy certainly polarises opinion among backapckers as well as cyclists. I made up a crude copy with old paint cans to check that it lived up to the hype and I'm converted. In the latest "tgo magazine" there is an excellent article on how to "set" the fire so that it burns for longer and there is much less smoke.

andym

Über Member
vernon said:
It's quite telling that there's not a plethora of recommendations for the wood burning stoves in any of the cycling forums.

No not really. Given that this is new (well really a rediscovery of old) technology. So far as I can see the ultralight camping fraternity in the US seem to be pretty influential, and my guess is that these will be a hot trend (excuse the pun) for 2009.

Yes a cartridge stove is handy and convenient. But that does come at a price of wasteful and environmentally-unfriendly packaging.

OP
OP
H

hubbike

Thank you all for you views.
Thinking now I might have a bash at making one from tin cans a la this lot
that way I havn't wasted any money and I can try it out.

Andrew S: think you have a good point about collecting wood being easier on foot, but I quite often make a fire anyway when touring as I like them (even in Scotland, even when its wet).

For a long trip presumably the savings in fuel would accrue.

JackE

Über Member
Hubbike,
A word of advice if you decide to make your own stove. Drilling holes in thin metal with an ordinary HSS drill bit is precarious, inaccurate and leaves razor sharp edges all over the place. Best to use a "stepped" metal working drill, which are about £5. It leaves a clean hole and saves a lot of "blood loss".

Top Bottom