Bushed or bushless for fixed - What's your preference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Having been through a few KMC bushless chains, I thought I'd try a bushed chain and see if it runs any better, and lasts any longer.

I've bought one of these

izumi-standard-track-chain.jpg

I haven't fitted it yet, but the first thing I noticed is that it's much more flexible laterally than I thought it would be. Are all bushed chains like this? I thought bushed chains were supposed to be much more rigid than bushless chains. I'm sure I've read somewhere that this additional rigidity is desirable as it reduces the risk of unshipping a chain (flexibility is totally unnecessary if you don't have derailleur gears).

Any opinions/experiences on bushed versus bushless and lateral flexibility/rigidity most welcome. :smile:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
no idea, but having read your post in the other thread I would be interested in the longevity of this as I, like you think maybe the bog standard KMC chains are just not up to the rigours of fixed riding ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've used the Izumi chains and they are OK but not as good as the KMC 510HX.

I was always adjusting chain tension with the Izumi. The KMC wear better.

tyred

Legendary Member
I honestly believe they last much longer but I am using NOS ones. Perhaps quality was better back in the day.

The bearing/bushing surface is bigger which should mean it wears longer and the design means it's less likely to take dirt into it (also makes it more difficult to lube - see Sheldon Brown chain article for a full explanation).

I use the traditional lube method on my fixed/ss and hub geared bikes by washing the chain in diesel and then heating it gently in a pan of SAE 30 engine oil so the oil thins and gets to where it is needed. A bit messy but the chain runs incredibly smoothly afterwards.

OP
OP
Smurfy

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I honestly believe they last much longer but I am using NOS ones. Perhaps quality was better back in the day.

The bearing/bushing surface is bigger which should mean it wears longer and the design means it's less likely to take dirt into it (also makes it more difficult to lube - see Sheldon Brown chain article for a full explanation).

I use the traditional lube method on my fixed/ss and hub geared bikes by washing the chain in diesel and then heating it gently in a pan of SAE 30 engine oil so the oil thins and gets to where it is needed. A bit messy but the chain runs incredibly smoothly afterwards.

That's what I thought, so I'll be interested to see if it lasts any longer.

Top Bottom