Business ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Been looking this last few weeks and have noticed that Garden sheds seem to sell very well new or used? What i am thinking if i had the space theres a business opportunity to start making supplying and erecting sheds?

Know theres lots losing jobs etc but my thinking is if one or two guys got together they could have a go even part time for little outlay?

Any one else see any thing in these strange times?

screenman

Legendary Member
There is very little money to be made there unless you go big, also timber supplies according to a pal who owns a fencing supply company can be a bit unreliable at the present time and may not change next year. Now you could go bespoke but again there is the supplies problem and it is going to cost a lot of money to get your name out there.

I have been selling training and tooling to help people start or expand their own businesses for at least 20 years, nothing to do with sheds though.

All the sheds seem to be same trad design. I have seen prototype scandi style ones thst look really good. I have almost finished building my own shed/workshop/greenhouse combo but it is a prototype and I really hope it is weatherproof.
I think there could be an opening for well priced scandi/modern design shed. The shephard hut thing took off and people pay stupid prices.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
As above, I think the overheads would eat up any margin you'd have. Keeping the timber dry, transporting it, you'd need a large van. And you'd be competing with flat pack sheds which are lower quality but far cheaper becasue they are mass produced, and designed to be put up by a lay person, and are usually delivered for free

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Enough people offer supply and install of sheds cheaply enough , I doubt that you would make much , but got to be worth a try if you think you can make it work ^_^

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’m in the sawmilling business. Winter work. Build anything from larch. Steer well clear. Uk timber prices have doubled in four years. im niche so can make a few quid. Shed guys round here aren’t doing well, unless they’re big boys. Current big demand - shepherd huts and glamping pods. Remember who told you when you turn your first million

screenman

Legendary Member
I have customers doing 8+ windscreen repairs a day at £40 in some cases £60 per job, consumables would cost about £10. That is the type of business to go for at the moment, low overheads.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Dave, are you after something for a bit of extra pocket momey, or as a new means of survival?

Tbh was just thinking of some thing to try and get my 2 lazy sons to do part time they are both in full time education but just stay glued to online games all day.

Always on the go myself and just can not understand the new way of online life rather than the physical?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think some of the demand for garden sheds has been driven by Covid and is likely, temporary. Many people working from home have bought or had sheds made as their office environment.

With the closure of pubs, other folk with time offered via furlough, have created man caves / garden pubs.

This trend may fade when life returns to normal.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think some of the demand for garden sheds has been driven by Covid and is likely, temporary. Many people working from home have bought or had sheds made as their office environment.

With the closure of pubs, other folk with time offered via furlough, have created man caves / garden pubs.

This trend may fade when life returns to normal.

Or maybe more people will think I want one of them, business is more about sales and marketing nowadays, even for a small one.

Top Bottom