Bust Shifter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

on the left hand shifter for the front gears, its gone a bit poorly..........

if with move the front mech over to the big chainring, but the shifter wont "click" into place, so doesnt hold and just goes back down.

is it broken or can i fix it?

thanks

AlanW

Guru
Please don't ask me why, but I was expecting to read about how to move breasts?

:biggrin::blush:

jpembroke

I suppose you should first of all back out the limit screw on the front mech to allow more movement before you go and throw money at it.

Still reckon it's bust though.

scook94

Veteran
Exactly the same thing happened to my 105 shifter on a 5 week old bike. Not repairable, eventually got replaced by the LBS that sold me the bike.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
before you consign it to the bin, give it a squirt with WD40. leave to soak, and then try it again. Sometimes worth disconnecting the cable and then trying to to shift it.

I've got a very old LX shifter that routinely needs some tlc to get working again. Its been like that for about 3 years now ;)

OP
OP
S

steve23

cheers guys, will give it a bit o sweet talking and see if that sorts it..........

if not.......burnt at the stake maybe???

OP
OP
S

steve23

them i could give TLC to, and lots of it!!!

........................................chicken breasts..........right???

Jonathan M

Steve Austin said:
before you consign it to the bin, give it a squirt with WD40. leave to soak, and then try it again. Sometimes worth disconnecting the cable and then trying to to shift it.

I've got a very old LX shifter that routinely needs some tlc to get working again. Its been like that for about 3 years now :biggrin:

+1. Rear gear LX pod shifter on my MTB was playing up, blasted it through the cable port with GT85 then followed it up with a slightly heavier spary lube (one for locks) and it resusitated the shifter.

OP
OP
S

steve23

i think its died guys.

it was a 105 road lever, had it for around 3 years so not too shabby a life span i guess.

Matthames

Über Member
I don't know about the 105 shifters, but I have striped apart a deore shifter. If it is not clicking into place then my guess is that one of the ratchet mechanisms is not doing what it should. Quite often because it is bunged up with crap.

If you go down the route of dismantling it, make sure you have a small tray or something handy and remember how everything goes together.

When I repaired mine, the shifter would only click from the bottom chain ring to the middle. The reason for this was because the ratchet that clicks into place to engage the top chain ring was not engaging. This was fixed by giving it a clean and some fresh lubrication.

jpembroke

steve23 said:
i think its died guys.

it was a 105 road lever, had it for around 3 years so not too shabby a life span i guess.

3 years? That's a bummer! I have a set of 8 speed Shimano 600 STis from circa 1996 and they're still going. My 9 year old Mirage ergos are still shifting beautifully too. Actually, so are my 8 year old Deore shifters. Like someone said above, mine are full of crap and occasionally need a flush with GT85 but they keep on working.

3 years is a fairly poor lifespan really. Very expensive to replace a set. Try and get a LH shifter from somewhere. That Tiagra one on CRC was a bargain.

Top Bottom