Busted my chain today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Other than the odd p*****re I have never actually broken any bits of my bike before. So I was more than a little surprised when I broke my chain today. And not (as I thought immediately after it happened) just the "powerlink" failing. No it was an actual link in the chain which had shattered.

I must be turning into a proper biker!

The chain is (was!) an SRAM 9 speed own make chain and as I tried to start off up a hill in a far too high a gear there was a rather large "clunk" and it was game over. Fortunately only about half a mile walk home...

But what surprised me was the state of the chain. After a clean in a drop of petrol and careful examination, 3 other links dotted around the chain had also got fractured plates in them, so I guess it would only have been a matter of time before one of them failed. Talk about a wake-up call....

So the old chain was binned, a new one purchased from LBS along with a couple of spare power links which I will put in my rucksack with the unused links from the new chain.

Do you check your chain thoroughly? Or are you (as I was) more of a "give it a quick squirt of degreaser then bung some oil on and the job's done" sort of person when it comes to chain maintenance?

G-Zero

Über Member
........ Or are you (as I was) more of a "give it a quick squirt of degreaser then bung some oil on and the job's done" sort of person when it comes to chain maintenance?

That sums me up nicely :whistle:

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Do you check your chain thoroughly? Or are you (as I was) more of a "give it a quick squirt of degreaser then bung some oil on and the job's done" sort of person when it comes to chain maintenance?

I used to degrease after every mucky spin but I've stopped doing that. Seems the degreaser (as it's very thin) will get into every nook and cranny (pins) and remove any lube that might be in there. When I'd relube, the lube, simply by being thicker, would never get all the way in. This resulted in some rather stiff chains. Now, I just remove the crud with a toothbrush dipped in warm water, dry it, and rub a bit of chain grease across it. Been having much better luck with chains lately...

Plus I learned how to shift properly which probably made more of a difference.

Davidc

Guru
I never degrease. Just wipe and lube, Mickle style.

Check the chains weekly (bit longer interval the last month or so) with a chain guage then wipe and lube. Chains last typically 1500 miles. Not yet had one break. (Or at least not a modern 8 speed SRAM or Shimano one).

Zoiders

Chains last typically 1500 miles. Not yet had one break. (Or at least not a modern 8 speed SRAM or Shimano one).
^This.

How much do I hate the fact that Shimano shafted us all with the plinky little 9 and 10 speed groupsets for off road use?

Stock pile 8 speed now while quaility NOS off road kit is still available.

Davidc

Guru
^This.

How much do I hate the fact that Shimano shafted us all with the plinky little 9 and 10 speed groupsets for off road use?

Stock plie 8 speed now while quaility NOS off road kit is still available.

I use the kit for on road and am just as peed off. I'm going to need replacement STI levers at some stage so may be forced to go 9 speed with its lightweight chains and cassettes. How many miles average to a chain then?

I've also managed to standardise chains and cassettes for 2 bikes, and that'll go out of the window. Not pleased

If I can get a used set from fleabay or other at a reasonable price I'll be stocking up with a few years supply of cassettes and chains as well. Already have a spare chainset.

Muddy Ground

9 speed is no worse than 8 speed in my humble. I still run both quite happily. Interestingly [or not] my view of 10 speed is the same as yours is of 9 speed! Unreliable, weak junk.....

deaksie

i run 3 chains in rotation to minimise wear and carry spare links as a matter of course - gets you home at least. we;ve all had experience of a broken chain, annoying! remember to carry a chain tool too
rolleyes.gif

OP
OP
Salad Dodger
remember to carry a chain tool too
rolleyes.gif

Yes - chain tool and few spare chain links plus a spare joining link have now been added to my toolkit.......

02GF74

Über Member
Interestingly [or not] my view of 10 speed is the same as yours is of 9 speed! Unreliable, weak junk.....

why do you say that? when riding, the force is on the links and pins, t he width of the chain does not come into it. narrow chains should be no less strong and oin theory should be no less durable since the roller rolls on indents in the side plates and not the pin; the side plate being the same.,

lemme find a picture of what I'm on about .....

02GF74

Über Member
bingo, see the side plate with the pressed circles - the rollers roll on that and not the pin itself
bushinglessBicycleChainLayout.jpg

Muddy Ground

02GF74 - I was being ironic; there is no difference! But like the shift from 7 to 8 speed, then 8 to 9 speed, there were always comments that the chain would be unreliable.

PIJ

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Other than the odd p*****re I have never actually broken any bits of my bike before. So I was more than a little surprised when I broke my chain today. And not (as I thought immediately after it happened) just the "powerlink" failing. No it was an actual link in the chain which had shattered.

I must be turning into a proper biker!

The chain is (was!) an SRAM 9 speed own make chain and as I tried to start off up a hill in a far too high a gear there was a rather large "clunk" and it was game over. Fortunately only about half a mile walk home...

But what surprised me was the state of the chain. After a clean in a drop of petrol and careful examination, 3 other links dotted around the chain had also got fractured plates in them, so I guess it would only have been a matter of time before one of them failed. Talk about a wake-up call....

So the old chain was binned, a new one purchased from LBS along with a couple of spare power links which I will put in my rucksack with the unused links from the new chain.

I venture to suggest that the text highlighted is the reason for the chain damage.

Top Bottom