Buy Carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris432626

I have a problem.
I've spent the last couple of years upgrading most of the components on my (beloved!) Caad9 . I'm now thinking of upgrading to a carbon bike.
The thing is, for a budget of around £3k, the components are pretty much the same on the new bikes (Canyon etc), with the exception of the frame / wheels.
a) Is it worth upgrading just the frame?
b) Is it worth replacing the entire Caad9 bike with a carbon one with better aero wheels?
c) Should I just buy aero wheels?
d) Should I tell my wife the real cost of the new bike?

I do Ironman distance cycling so small gains in weight / drag do count.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What kit is on the CAAD9? How much money is invested in it?

raindog

er.....
I have a problem.
I've spent the last couple of years upgrading most of the components on my (beloved!) Caad9 . I'm now thinking of upgrading to a carbon bike.
Would that really be an upgrade? I thought the CAAD9 was supposed to be one of the best frames around?

2pies

Veteran
Surely buying a frame and moving all the existing components to it is the best option. If you buy a frame from a shop, they will move all the components over for the price of a few hour's labour. Something like a Cervelo R3 perhaps?

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Chris.

Wiggle & somewhere else I can't put my finger on have a sale on Fast Forward carbon wheels.

Both tubs & clinchers available (last time I looked) & in both 45 & 58 rim depths.

You might be looking at just shy od a grand & up to around £1300, but should provide some aero gains - maybe not Weight loss though.

If I had enough cash I would go for these myself.

Another idea would be to try & get a good/fair price for your bike & maybe try get a good deal on a 2013 model that suits.

It's possible to get a good deal on 2013 Felt AR series bike as the new model is about to hit the shops.

This is both Aero & light.

Another you might consider is the Sintesi Z2 or M2 at Tweeks cycles only limited sizes/colours left 2012 model but £1500 with full Sram Force & light Ritchey wheels.

OP
OP
Chris432626

Chris432626

Chris.

Wiggle & somewhere else I can't put my finger on have a sale on Fast Forward carbon wheels.

Both tubs & clinchers available (last time I looked) & in both 45 & 58 rim depths.

You might be looking at just shy od a grand & up to around £1300, but should provide some aero gains - maybe not Weight loss though.

If I had enough cash I would go for these myself.

Another idea would be to try & get a good/fair price for your bike & maybe try get a good deal on a 2013 model that suits.

It's possible to get a good deal on 2013 Felt AR series bike as the new model is about to hit the shops.

This is both Aero & light.

Another you might consider is the Sintesi Z2 or M2 at Tweeks cycles only limited sizes/colours left 2012 model but £1500 with full Sram Force & light Ritchey wheels.
Thanks for the info.....who on earth are Sintesi? Cannot find any reviews.

Buy a carbon frame and put all your nice bits on it and put all the bits you took off the caad back on that. Now you spend your time upgrading the parts on the carbon frame and transferring them back to the caad, in a couple of years you have your v nice caad back and an even nicer carbon bike.

OP
OP
Chris432626

Chris432626

So I popped into my local to work bike shop today. Once I stopped drooling over the Cervelo S5, the guy there said.."in all honesty, just buy some better wheels, Mavic SL's or Zipp. For around £600 you'll notice a big difference, more so than spending £3k on a bike."

50000tears

^^^ That is the crunch of it. Having upgraded your Caad9 so much you do run of risk of having a big investment in a carbon frame and not really noticing much difference. Getting my new wheels fitted next week which I know will make me at least 5mh quicker and no carbon frame will give you that!! :whistle:

Top Bottom