Buy Carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
So I popped into my local to work bike shop today. Once I stopped drooling over the Cervelo S5, the guy there said.."in all honesty, just buy some better wheels, Mavic SL's or Zipp. For around £600 you'll notice a big difference, more so than spending £3k on a bike."
i like to know what zipps he's talking about for £600

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would opt for wheels. They will definatelly make a difference. Re. the frame, I suppose it depends what you are looking for in terms of an upgrade as to whether it is worth it or whether you could spend the money elsewhere. In weight terms (and weight is not the only consideration) CAAD9 frames are light, you could get a CAAD9 build under the UCI weight limit without spending that much I'd expect.

If you decide to upgrade the frame, it might be more cost effective to sell what you have (in whole or parted out) and buy a complete bike with the groupset of your choice.

Acyclo

Veteran
It would be difficult to get a noticeably* lighter bike, so it comes down to feel. That is something that you can't easily quantify. On reflection, most of the compliance in a bike is in the tyres, so my ill-informed guess is 'better wheels and tyres' beats 'cooler frame'. The usual caveats apply.

*Noticeable as in noticeable-on-the-road, not noticeable-on-the-scales.

OP
OP
Chris432626

Chris432626

Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
Looks like better wheels are the best (and a lot cheaper) option for my Caad9 frame. After doing some research, I think I'm tempted to go for some Wheelsmiths wheels with a power meter installed. Dropped an email to Derek and he's recommending Race24's and PowerTap for £998.

e-rider

crappy member
...this is a strange thread! Surely, if you've recently bought loads of new components and already have nice wheels etc., but now you want a carbon frame, why on earth wouldn't you now just change the frame? Am I missing something here?

BUY A NEW FRAME - SIMPLES!!!

e-rider

crappy member
Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
Looks like better wheels are the best (and a lot cheaper) option for my Caad9 frame. After doing some research, I think I'm tempted to go for some Wheelsmiths wheels with a power meter installed. Dropped an email to Derek and he's recommending Race24's and PowerTap for £998.
didn't you say you already have Mavic Krysium Elites? The difference you will notice will be almost nothing. You sound like a person who needs to stop shopping for parts, and start riding what you have more!

OP
OP
Chris432626

Chris432626

didn't you say you already have Mavic Krysium Elites? The difference you will notice will be almost nothing. You sound like a person who needs to stop shopping for parts, and start riding what you have more!
I understand where you're coming from, but over the duration of 100+ mile rides, any energy saving without sacrificing speed is beneficial...especially when you have to run a marathon straight after. I was asking for help of people more experienced than myself of the best course of action to upgrade.
The consensus is: little benefit upgrading a Caad9 frame, a lot more beneficial upgrading wheels.
I'm truly grateful for everyone's input.
p.s. I train, a lot!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Sintesi - little known Italian brand - better known in europe than u.k (I know we are in Europe all),

Small catalogue of models & only available from Tweeks Cycles in Wales.

Maybe better known for MTB ?

Other than that - I don't know much about them either.

Great spec on mine for the £$£ - Toray 800 carbon frame & fork, full Sram Force - sub 1600g Ritchey wheels.
Thanks for the info.....who on earth are Sintesi? Cannot find any reviews.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android

Zipp 30 wheels are dire, your not getting a true Zipp wheel its using the name and reputation to flog rebranded SRAM S30 wheels with a Zipp hub (part of the same group of companies)... If you want a Zipp wheel with the appropiate respected performance buy a zipp firecrest... Or buy something else as your paying for the name.

Last edited:

mark william

get a good pair of aero wheels. they make such a big difference i have got a pair of zipp 202s and they are the best that i have ever used. would defiantly recommend tubulars over clinchers they roll so much better and just feel so much nicer.

Top Bottom