Buyer beware!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
My Planet X spitfire arrived without downtube barrel adjusters & even more critical the cable guide which bolts under the bottom bracket is also missing.
Now my build will probably take over another week. Or they might turn around & say they have no parts in stock.
Not happy.
Must Edit here: You’re supposed to buy those parts separately as well as all the other stuff. First time building from a raw frame.

Last edited:
Can't remember using barrell adjusters in years. Do cables still stretch ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Can't remember using barrell adjusters in years. Do cables still stretch ?
Even if cables remain static, and neither stretch/oiters compress, nor do the ferrules bed in further over time, one needs adjusters for the set up. Without them it would be impossible to index new cables. Having them on the downtubes aren't essential for the rear mech that usually has an adjust, but are lovely for making minute adjustments 'on the fly'. Front mechs don't usually have their own adjuster, so a cable based adjuster is essential.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
My Planet X spitfire arrived without downtube barrel adjusters & even more critical the cable guide which bolts under the bottom bracket is also missing.
Do you have an adjuster on RD?
As for BB cable guide it's arguably not needed. Maybe that's what they'll claim?

As for BB cable guide it's arguably not needed. Maybe that's what they'll claim?
Don't you always need a BB cable guide if the cable passes under the bottom bracket?
I was surprised on looking closely at my hewitt the other day to find that at one point the cable touches the frame in that area - taken a bit of paint off though can see no damage to the cable nor is there any problem with mech operation. But seems to me that they have either used the wrong guide or set things up a bit wrong. Not aware that i have managed to do this on any of the three bikes i have built up from cheaply acquired 90s hybrids.

A good bike mechanic should pre-stretch the cable so that when it goes to the bike owner there is no more stretch to occur.
how do they do that?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
They don’t supply the bits I need with the frame. I never found knowledge of needing those. Now ordered. It’s the guide that’s the important one.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
You do need a bb guide or your cables will just sag around underneath. I’ve never seen a bike without them installed. As for barrel adjusters adjusting on the fly I’ve never used them since starting cycling a decade ago.

Don't you always need a BB cable guide if the cable passes under the bottom bracket?
I was surprised on looking closely at my hewitt the other day to find that at one point the cable touches the frame in that area - taken a bit of paint off though can see no damage to the cable nor is there any problem with mech operation. But seems to me that they have either used the wrong guide or set things up a bit wrong. Not aware that i have managed to do this on any of the three bikes i have built up from cheaply acquired 90s hybrids.
On my wife's Hewitt (that got flattened :sad:) the bottom bracket shell had cable grooves - deliberate I think rather than worn!

You do need a bb guide or your cables will just sag around underneath. I’ve never seen a bike without them installed. As for barrel adjusters adjusting on the fly I’ve never used them since starting cycling a decade ago.
Cables will never be slack surely, either not under any great tension, or with lots of tension?

Top Bottom