Buyer's remorse, a lucky escape, I hope!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

I am of the age and inclination to have been really excited by the 2020 Raleigh 753 Team Replica but never liked the price.

Last weekend I found an ebay listing for three of the 753 frames, all new and boxed, being offered for £799 (they are still available https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234704398758?) rather than £1,500.

My problem is that one day I really want one and the next day I see it as a 725 frame made in a hurry in Taiwan with poor attention to detail. The frame ends and transfer placement, along with the frame weight are well discussed on the internet so there is no point in repeating them here.

Over the years I have spent quite a lot of time on the Manganese/Molybdenum (531/753) verses Chromium/Molybdenum (525/725) alloy debate. Once you actually get into the details the differences in their composition is a lot less than you might expect and as 531/753 are brand names not specifications there is quite a lot of wiggle room.

Anyway I dallied and didn’t buy it, went to the pub and talked about it and came home and thought “what the heck”, but for some reason eBay wouldn’t accept payment. The reason being that I was using the wrong card, one that didn’t have the funds, I have a bank account that is solely used for internet transactions so it never has much money in it and I was using that one.

Anyway I lost interest and was back to not wanting one and grateful that I didn’t buy it.

But it is the weekend, it is still available and is starting to look attractive again, will I be so lucky this weekend? :smile:

Bye

Ian

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Oh dear temptation , why not just go for it.
I would rather go for a hand made frame from one of the UK builders but I presume cost would be higher .

Sharky

Guru
Still a lot of money for just the frame and forks. Need to budget for all the components and accessories you need.

And at the end of the day, will have a bike with friction gears, possibly limited number of sprockets, tyre clearance for 23m or 25mm, rim brakes, quill stem.

Will still be a nice bike, but is that what you want?

Still a lot of money for just the frame and forks. Need to budget for all the components and accessories you need.

And at the end of the day, will have a bike with friction gears, possibly limited number of sprockets, tyre clearance for 23m or 25mm, rim brakes, quill stem.

The built up bikes Raleigh were selling had modern 10 speed drivetrains, nothing to stop buyers fitting whatever levers they want. Photos seem to show plenty of tyre clearance.
Quill stem, rim brakes, so what?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Whats wrong with all that. :laugh: 25mm max, 39x26 smallest gear, down tube SIS shifting. Both my road bikes are like that. Just when you are 50+ and hit a steep hill, the swearing is louder. ^_^

Top Bottom