Buying a bike. Annoying adverts (ebay.)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've been on the lookout for a nice hybrid bike since selling one of my trikes (to get me through any deep snow on its way). What amazes me is how many people put ads (especially on ebay) with little to no information. So I'm supposed to deduce from a single picture (in most cases) exactly what I need to know. I'm fed up with having to ask Frame size/exact model/age/mileage covered/what tyres are fitted/the location of the bike etc etc. I've seen countless ads along the lines of "blah blah hybrid for sale, good condition"......and that's it! It's like pulling teeth. Anyway, I've seen a nice Scott Sub40 which think I'll have a punt on.

I know there are a couple of bikes on here, but not close to Doncaster.

The trouble is that half the sellers don't actually know what it is they've nicked :whistle:

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
You are right BP,they put something up for sale with little or no info and it puts me right off,very lazy.They lose buyers this way,obvious.

This applies to not only bikes.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
And you get buyers wanting to pay feck all for stuff, listed a bike with a reserve as it had good parts etc and i even included a pump and 2 spare inner tubes and it got to £6.45 with a good description .............

gbb

Legendary Member
I've been on the lookout for a nice hybrid bike since selling one of my trikes (to get me through any deep snow on its way). What amazes me is how many people put ads (especially on ebay) with little to no information. So I'm supposed to deduce from a single picture (in most cases) exactly what I need to know. I'm fed up with having to ask Frame size/exact model/age/mileage covered/what tyres are fitted/the location of the bike etc etc. I've seen countless ads along the lines of "blah blah hybrid for sale, good condition"......and that's it! It's like pulling teeth. Anyway, I've seen a nice Scott Sub40 which think I'll have a punt on.

You can sometimes make that work to your advantage. If it puts buyers off, there are less bids, item goes cheaper. I brought a chainset off eBay with perilously little information given by the seller. I got an absolute bargain because I knew what it was, and wasn't put off by the lack of info.
You got to remember, your thinking with your head, an enthusiast, (I assume) knowledgeable, requiring specific info. Most people just don't think that way. It's a bike, they brought it, used it, don't want it any more. It's just a bike.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You can sometimes make that work to your advantage. If it puts buyers off, there are less bids, item goes cheaper. I brought a chainset off eBay with perilously little information given by the seller. I got an absolute bargain because I knew what it was, and wasn't put off by the lack of info.
You got to remember, your thinking with your head, an enthusiast, (I assume) knowledgeable, requiring specific info. Most people just don't think that way. It's a bike, they brought it, used it, don't want it any more. It's just a bike.

Indeed, I bought some very high quality furniture because the sellers didn't know what they were selling, but I knew from the design.

http://www.cyclechat.net/posts/2123602/

seee my post above - still got clean hybrid in me shed fopr sale.
I will be working over donny way early jan so can deliver / rendevous ?

jim55

Guru
yeah does my head in ,i mean its totally basic info , i recently bought a pair of forks
me ,what length is the steerer
him ,dunno ,whats a steerer?
:wacko:
needless to say i didnt buy them

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This is my biggest peeve with eBay, thus the name fleabay.
And another aborted sale, tried selling my giant MTB and clearly listed the fact that its in good nick, spent over £50 on tyres, mudguards , spds etc which wer all included and the max bid got to £8, thank gawd for reserve price .

screenman

Legendary Member
So let me get this right, you want to buy cheap and sell expensive. Something is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. Ebay is great, it has opened us up to a massive world wide market place.

So the guy did not know what a steerer was, nor did you I expect until you got into cycling properly. You could have steered him to the correct answer and maybe bought them.

I have written to sellers in the past suggesting improvements to their adverts and have always received a thank you, maybe some of you experts should try the same.

Psyclist

Über Member
And another aborted sale, tried selling my giant MTB and clearly listed the fact that its in good nick, spent over £50 on tyres, mudguards , spds etc which wer all included and the max bid got to £8, thank gawd for reserve price .

Phew, definitely thanks to the reserve price. If I ever come to selling a bike in the future, I'll sell online classifieds only. That price is just a p*ss take.

Top Bottom