Buying a bike for commuting in That London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eck

Über Member
Miss eck is moving to London next week.
cry.gif

Living in Tooting Bec, commuting to that building with the big clock in Westminster (
lipsrsealed.gif
don't ask)

She is looking to buy a "road bike". Can anyone recommend a LBS where she might not get fleeced, or any other legit sources of second-hand bikes? An option might be something from Decathlon - their Tribans seem to get decent reviews, but I'd prefer her to get something that could take mudguards. Budget I guess is £notalot, probably up to about £250.

She is not a novice to bike commuting: she has done a regular Edinburgh commute between Cameron Toll and Corstorphine since last summer, with a flat-bar hybrid, but is now looking for something a bit nippier.

Also, if anyone knows of any local cycling group that could give advice about routes etc, that would be welcome.

Thanks for listening.
smiley.gif

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a very busy route, although there is CS7..but as I found out on that route, cycle super highway most certainly does not guarantee any sort of security for the cyclist :sad: . She would do well to seek out a back route if she can

For £250 for a road bike, the Triban or Carrera Zelos whih is £250 at the mo, or second hand? I don't think she'll get a drop bar bike from an LBS for £250. Triban can take cruds no? Personally though I'd go for a fast flatbar like a Sirrus, I don't feel safe myself braking in that amount of traffic, Tooting into the centre will be stop start, lots of buses too etc

If she doesn't have secure parking within the compound of HoP, she will need strong locks, a Fahgettaboutit or Abus Granit as primary and a good secondary. Plus insurance

Local branch of LCC should be able to help with routes, not sure if the Bec is Merton still or Lambeth

If she wants a weekend ride, drop me and @jefmcg a line :smile:

maroon

Über Member
For second hand bikes she could give Edwards Cycles in Camberwell green a try. ( take the northern line to oval stn ) they do good deals Tel:0207 703 5720 ask for Gary or Clarke they'll sort you out.

wilkotom

There's LCN 3 which runs pretty parallel with CS7. I've done both and to be honest I prefer CS7. LCN3 is very quiet but it twists and turns a fair bit, and there's next to no opportunity to get any kind of speed up as there's loads of lights. Depending on which bit of Tooting Bec you're in, you can also go up Tooting Bec Common and then Cavendish Road, across Clapham Common and then down to join CS8 at Chelsea Bridge.

During peak commute times CS7 feels safe enough, IMO, especially in the summer when there are plenty of slower cyclists about.

vickster

Legendary Member
There's LCN 3 which runs pretty parallel with CS7. I've done both and to be honest I prefer CS7. LCN3 is very quiet but it twists and turns a fair bit, and there's next to no opportunity to get any kind of speed up as there's loads of lights. Depending on which bit of Tooting Bec you're in, you can also go up Tooting Bec Common and then Cavendish Road, across Clapham Common and then down to join CS8 at Chelsea Bridge.

During peak commute times CS7 feels safe enough, IMO, especially in the summer when there are plenty of slower cyclists about.
Just avoid at 6pm on a Sunday evening :sad:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's a budget breaker, and not especially nippy, but there are plenty of reasons the Brompton is the most popular bike bar none in London. They're easy to park securely in the pocket handkerchiefs Londoners laughingly call flats, you can take them into the office so aren't exposed to evil bike thieves during the day, and when you're pissed at the end of the day you can fold them up and take them on the tube.

Brains

Legendary Member
I'd second a Brommie, but even 'hot' ones with the serial number filed off go for the wrong side of £500
Does the place she will work do a 'cycle to work' scheme in which case get a £100 clunker for the 3 months probation and then get the Brommie.

The advantage of a Brommie is you don't need locks, because, as the bloke in the LBS told me, you never leave it anywhere you don't trust.

Top Bottom