Buying a bike from Cash Converters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A £900 bike for £500 sounds like a good deal. I could never buy anything from there due to the awful stale smell that greets you whenever you enter the shop.

markharry66

Über Member
Cash converters normally over priced if their electrical stuff is anything to go by. Good deal on the Boardman though. Wonder how much poor person that sold it got for it :sad:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The manager of CG in my town looked hugely pssd off when I turned up there with a copper and the bloke who had bought my bike from him a year previously, with receipts and my police crime number. Kept saying things like,"but can you be absolutely sure that this was your bike sir" and "Now I'm not saying you're dishonest but you could be mistaken" as the friendly copper just checked my details and the description I gave at the time and told him to give the money back to the guy that bought my bike from him and my bike was duly given back to me. (I had seen my bike locked up in town and waited for the "owner" to turn up who turned out to be a very nice guy who, after I told him a few things about the bike, admitted that it must be mine.
That was a good day. I think they even managed to arrest and charge the thieves, although only with handling as the theft could not be proved.
I frickin' hate those places. They are just utter misery merchants and are screwing people on both sides of the equation. They may well do some checks to see if a bike is reported stolen but they seem to refuse to apply any common sense. They take id from people selling to them but not id that is hard to falsify. They check websites (perhaps) but still take bikes from people who have obviously never owned it, that isn't their size, about which they have the flimsiest cover story and which is probably the fourth bike they've brought in that month. I imagine. The people who are legit are offered paltry sums for good gear which they invariably accept as they are so skint.
I've no objection to them in principle but they should be run very very differently. Someone somewhere is making a lot of money from misery.

classic33

Leg End Member
Local Cash Converters kept the person talking, going through the checks & other paperwork(not all required) when someone tried to sell a bike to them.They even got them to lock it up outside whilst another staff member "went to finish checking it for any minor damage", anything that may reduce its value.
Whilst this was going on the police were on their way.

Top Bottom