Buying a bike without a test ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm only 5'6 and I also have a 32"inside leg

I think it's inconceivable you have the same inside leg as the OP as he's 8" taller.

On the OPs question, I'd go for it. Test riding a bike, unless you are already a bike expert with wide experience of different ones, will tell you almost nothing, just that it's either different or not to your current steed.

Until you've been on it for some time, you won't really know. At which point it's too late anyway.

An XL sounds right for 6'2; I'm 6'4 and sometimes even the XL sizes are too small.

On whether to go for hybrid or mountain bike, unless you're planning to do proper single track offroading, a hybrid should be adequate, and at your price range you're probably better off avoiding suspension forks. You can always put knobblier tyres on the hybrid.

wajc

Veteran
Rutland Cycling do a 30 day test ride specifically for people using the mail order option. They have the Giant Escape 3 in both versions disc and non disc.

It might be something of interest to you - if it hasn't been halted due to worries of contaminated bikes being returned.

Rutland 30 day test ride

Dale 1956

I think it's inconceivable you have the same inside leg as the OP as he's 8" taller.

On the OPs question, I'd go for it. Test riding a bike, unless you are already a bike expert with wide experience of different ones, will tell you almost nothing, just that it's either different or not to your current steed.

Until you've been on it for some time, you won't really know. At which point it's too late anyway.

An XL sounds right for 6'2; I'm 6'4 and sometimes even the XL sizes are too small.

On whether to go for hybrid or mountain bike, unless you're planning to do proper single track offroading, a hybrid should be adequate, and at your price range you're probably better off avoiding suspension forks. You can always put knobblier tyres on the hybrid.
Some of us has long legs and short arms.and other people has short legs and long arms.And the Surly bicycles are made a lot different it's all in the top tube how long it is.But this is the only bicycle I have and use around here I have built a lot of Surly bicycle for people and my self too.I can only go by what I know about the Surly frames all the other frames I have no idea how they are set up.One LBS would have me try out a 54 or a 56 in a road bike but I knew that was not for me I did not want a road bike I wanted a touring bicycle so I got the Surly 52cm frame set and built my own ride.It's hard to say what size someone needs or it is for me.I wish him all the luck finding a good fit bicycle.

OP
OP
Y

Yaffle

Thanks everyone for all the replies, sorry I haven’t been back sooner.

@12boy You advised to borrow a bike but at the time I was unable to find one. Just today I’ve been lent a basic Apollo Hybrid (I think it’s a Halfords own brand). It’s a bit heavy but that’ll help the fitness :laugh:, with rim brakes but I’ve never had discs anyway. It’ll hopefully give some time to make an unrushed decision.

@SkipdiverJohn Great idea to study the second hand market. I’d looked on eBay but the problem being it wouldn’t be essential travel to collect one during lockdown, especially if a long way from home. There may be a few good deals going on eBay when some of those sold during Coronavirus lockdown are unloved and unwanted. The other concern of course is some are bound to be stolen.

I don’t want to go “mud plugging” so the positive views towards a Hybrid are much appreciated.

I’m not brand focused and wouldn’t mind buying either second hand or a previous year’s model on sale. Will see how I get on with the loan bike as I’m sure it’ll help me decide what I want from a bike.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
There's a little company in Oregon that makes folding bikes by hand, the Bike Fridays. I found a store that had a few models and took one for a spin, having read all I could about them and having lusted mightily in my heart for one. I didn't like it at all, and went to another little shop to buy some stuff not found in the more corporate shops, and stumbled on a bunch of Bromptons. Thought "what the hell is that funny looking thing", went for a ride and immediately fell in love with it. Whenever possible, I think it good to ride before buying. Good luck with your loaner and I totally second the idea of buying a quality used bike although you may need to wait until the plague passes.

Double check stock levels and delivery times if using cycle solutions - they run our C2w scheme ....service isn't always great.

Top Bottom