Buying a hybrid comfort bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snarfindorf

Hi guys,
Basically I need a bike to lose weight. I have the measurements for the frame sorted etc. but when I was younger, I always rode mountain bikes where you sat and simply extended your arms. I've tried a road bike and I absolutely hate arching my back; it feels horribly unnatural.

An example of a bike that I've found is: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/boardman-mx-comp-bike-2014#tab2

Can anyone give me some concrete advice/recommendations for a hybrid road/off-road bike that's easy to ride, fast and has excellent engineering?

Cheers!

vickster

Legendary Member
What's your budget? And how do you define excellent engineering?

Boardman bikes are good but often let down by the abilities of their mechanics to build and set up the bikes

Have a look the whyte hybrids, also Marin, trek, giant, specialized. At a given price point, bikes tend to be much of a muchness. Go sit on some, have a test ride if you can and buy the one you most like the look of. You can often get good deals on last year's models, better components for the same sort of money. The frames barely change year on year, maybe the colour

OP
OP
Snarfindorf

Snarfindorf

What's your budget? And how do you define excellent engineering?

Boardman bikes are good but often let down by the abilities of their mechanics to build and set up the bikes

Have a look the whyte hybrids, also Marin, trek, giant, specialized. At a given price point, bikes tend to be much of a muchness. Go sit on some, have a test ride if you can and buy the one you most like the look of. You can often get good deals on last year's models, better components for the same sort of money. The frames barely change year on year, maybe the colour

Budget is like £500. I'd define excellent engineering as something that doesn't need replacing every few months for a good price.

So if I got the bike built in-store which is free, there wouldn't be a problem with that one?

I'll check your recommendations!

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes there could well be a problem. Better get it checked by a local independent shop

any £500 bike should last as long as you look after it, although all parts will need replacing at some point

Reactions: _aD

Cyclist33

Hi guys,
Basically I need a bike to lose weight. I have the measurements for the frame sorted etc. but when I was younger, I always rode mountain bikes where you sat and simply extended your arms. I've tried a road bike and I absolutely hate arching my back; it feels horribly unnatural.

An example of a bike that I've found is: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/boardman-mx-comp-bike-2014#tab2

Can anyone give me some concrete advice/recommendations for a hybrid road/off-road bike that's easy to ride, fast and has excellent engineering?

Cheers!

Buy the heaviest and least efficient thing you can for the money and ride it as hard as you can.

Best way to lose the weight.

That type of bike you linked to is the ultimate in bumbling along at a decent lick but not actually challenging yourself to get fit type of bike.

I should add it's a good and nice bike, I nearly bought one myself!

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
That type of bike you linked to is the ultimate in bumbling along at a decent lick but not actually challenging yourself to get fit type of bike.

Hey now, when I was hauling my old bike (looking like that) up Dartmoor with 35kg across four panniers, I was rather challenged, I'll have you know. There was also this one time, with 100kg sand in the trailer...

Cyclist33

There was also this one time, that lasted 3 years, when I was humming along on this type of bike at a bland pace on regular roads, and I thought I was getting fit, but I wasn't....

Reactions: _aD

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There was also this one time, that lasted 3 years, when I was humming along on this type of bike at a bland pace on regular roads, and I thought I was getting fit, but I wasn't....

Or as someone once told me: "You'll never get fit riding a light bike."

Tojo

Über Member
Or as someone once told me: "You'll never get fit riding a light bike."

Ride a heavy pig in the winter and your summer will be enjoyable.......:highfive:

JMAG

Über Member
Ride a heavy pig in the winter and your summer will be enjoyable.......:highfive:

I don't know - are there any breeds in particular you would recommend? :laugh:

article-0-1C48C24600000578-958_634x421.jpg

Budget is like £500. I'd define excellent engineering as something that doesn't need replacing every few months for a good price.

So if I got the bike built in-store which is free, there wouldn't be a problem with that one?

I'll check your recommendations!

Just surf the internet for hybrid bikes. Don't start off with something expensive. People start to be selective and go for an upgrade once they realise that enjoy biking and go for better ones. I recommend Decathlon as they have range, components are good, place to test ride and value for money for a new start on bikes. Here is one model.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-500-flat-bar-road-bike-id_8239798.html

mcj800

My partner had the same dilemma she looked at bikes at Halfords but was not that fussed. She tried a giant alight 2 which was £400 and a Cannondale quick think it was a 5 for £450. She felt both where similar, both comfy to ride. She went with the giant as it was a bit cheaper. I know they do another couple of models one slightly cheaper and one more expensive. She has had no issues or complaints so far.

martinclive

Über Member
Just got my missus a Giant Thrive for £499 - flat bar road bike with 28mm tyres (ally frame, carbon fork and Sora triple) could put more robust tyres on as loads of clearance and it's quite light.............

Last edited:
Top Bottom