Buying A New Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi,

Sorry if this is not in the right forum - not sure where this should go!

After nearly 1400 miles (and with keeping it clean), My Chain Wear Tool is starting to fail my chain on the 0.75% side (meaning that I should 'think about getting it changed', rather than 'change it at once' as per the 1% side).

My bike came with:
Cassette: Shimano HG 40, 11-32, 8 Speed
Chain: Shimano HG53

So I've look on Wiggle, and they have the exact chain listed here, oddly as a 9 speed chain, for £17.99. They also have a HG70 chain for £17.49, and as I understand it a HG70 chain should be better than a HG50 (as the numbers go up they get 'better' as per Shimano's ranges).

However, my eyes then spot this KMC chain - it's only £10.58. That's nearly a 40% saving! I'm sure that there are other chains in between these extremes and some outside. I guess some also come with special 'quick' links which I don't really know a lot about either.

So this got me thinking as to what you guys do? Do you simply buy the cheapest chain as they are all the same? Do the cheaper chains wear quicker and so you just replace them more frequently? Or is this a false economy as the more expensive chains last for several times longer?

Advice welcome,

Thanks,

MG

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'm a Campag man meself - so someone else will advise you on the KMC.

Re the chains generally I buy the best I can afford for the peace of mind - you don't want the chain to be snapping when out of the saddle going uphill.

dodgy

In my experience, more expensive chains don't last any longer, though they may be more shiny when they're clean. That's about it. The KMC will be fine, and it will come with a rejoinable link meaning it's easy to set up and remove.

- Baz -

My Shimano chain that came with the bike lasted only 300 miles! Wouldn't buy another - plus you need those ridiculous links.

After much research on CC and elsewhere, I replaced it with a KMC X8 99. Lasted about 700 miles. A lot less mileage than some are getting and I'm not a grinder. Replaced that with same and still showing less than 0.75 at about the same mileage. I expect to have to replace it soon. All have been on the same cassette. I've decided to try SRAM next and fit a new cassette. If the SRAM turns out to be made of cheese, I'll try something else... Having said all this though, the KMC has been trouble free and is a doddle to change.

Everything else being equal (ie maintenance), I reckon what works for one may not, for various reasons, give the same results for someone else. It may be just a matter of seeing what works best (much like other bike kit).

And there's an old saying: Buy cheap, buy twice...

zigzag

Veteran
My Shimano chain that came with the bike lasted only 300 miles! Wouldn't buy another - plus you need those ridiculous links.

After much research on CC and elsewhere, I replaced it with a KMC X8 99. Lasted about 700 miles.

are those miles on muddy offroad? these numbers don't look right if talking about road riding. 300 miles can be ridden in one weekend! chain should last 2-4k miles from my experience.

Fiona N

Veteran
I'm another KMC fan - I find they do the job well and the quick link is much better than the awkward Shimano pin thingy required every time you rejoin the chain. Just for info, I run 2 or 3 chains concurrently, swopping them whenever I remove a chain for cleaning, so that the cassette is never faced with a too new chain when the old one is finally replaced. This means you get the maximum lifetime out of your cassette as well as your chains.

potsy

Rambler
Another KMC fan here, the quick links are fab
thumbsup.png

- Baz -

are those miles on muddy offroad? these numbers don't look right if talking about road riding. 300 miles can be ridden in one weekend! chain should last 2-4k miles from my experience.
No, they're road miles. I thought the same as you - ie WTF? So got another in the hope that the first was a dud. Still on the bike, so fingers crossed.

heretic

Try measuring the chain instead of using the gadget. My SRAM 9 speeds are doing 2,600 miles without damaging the cassette. The pins start off at 1/2" centres. When a foot length has expanded by 1/16" measured on a steel rule then bin it. The cassette should be fine. If it gets past that then expect to replace the cassette. If it gets to 1/8" over then the chainrings are suffering and things really get expensive.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just goes to show, chains are like everything else, someone loves a brand, someone else thought it was rubbish.

I'd say avoid dirt cheap chains. I brought a cheap 9 speed Taya chain. i never even put it on the bike...it was awful. Looked like it had wear built in.

10 speed KMC X10 chain i had wore excessively fast IMO, and that was with regular oiling and cleaning.

10 speed Veloce chain is fairing much much better.

I had HG chain on my old 8 speed, it did 3000 miles...even then, i only changed the chain...everything else worked ok. Wish i could remember which HG chain it was.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
In my experience, more expensive chains don't last any longer, though they may be more shiny when they're clean. That's about it. The KMC will be fine, and it will come with a rejoinable link meaning it's easy to set up and remove.

Agreed. Shiney coatings have no value. The only thing that's worth looking at with cheaper chains is they can be very slightly heavier than more expensive ones. But I go with fairly cheapish KMC 9speed chains and they're just dandy.

welshdragon

I replaced my hg50 8-speed chain with a KMC x8.99. Was a bargain £10, handy with the link, easy to remove clean etc not that I clean it as often as I should and I have done 2,000+miles on it. Still looking good for the first part of winter/spring and who knows :-D

g00se

Veteran
Both KMC and SRAM chains are decent replacements and are easier to attach and replace than original Shimano chains.

Cheule

I have an SRAM PC850 chain, some early rust problems after 500 miles but a scrub n lube appears to have sorted it. Only nine quid odd at CRC.

Top Bottom