Buying a new 'hybrid'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esjt1976

I am looking to replace and old hybrid (a Scott, don't remember the model) as my employer offers the cycle to work discount scheme.

My main use will be around town (average 7.5 miles per day) on a variety of terrain including roads (varying quality), paved cycle paths (with the inevitable kerbs to negotiate) and unsurfaced tracks (it's a small town with lots of green spaces). I also do the occasional 20-miler for pleasure. I'm looking for something that's going to last well without me having to put in loads of maintenance and fine-tuning.

My old bike had full suspension but I'm not sure I'd miss it as the one I ride now to work doesn't have it. I would like disc brakes (unless someone tells me they're a useless gimmick?).

I have looked at Giant but didn't see anything that grabbed me, and also at the Ridgeback 'Switch' series (but the saddles look really uncomfortable!). Would these be a good bet? I'm looking to stay under £500 but that's not set in stone if there's something worth spending more on.

Any suggestions to help narrow it down greatfully received!

g00se

Veteran
i bought one of these - with almost exactly the same requirements. It fits the bill exactly and there's a few discounts about as the 2010 models are on the horizon:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dew-plus-2009-hybrid-bike-ec017269

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
My advice is to find a good LBS and try as many as you can, then buy the one that rides the best. If you are mostly riding on the road then suspension is unnecessary and a waste of money. If you are going over £500 then disk brakes are worth having...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
If Decathlon are part of the ride to work scheme, you can get a bargain with their £299 B'Twin Triban Trail 7 or their B'Twin Riverside 5 at £350 both of which come with mudgaurds, dynamo lighting and a rear rack.

I bought a Triban Trail 7 in Orleans a fortnight ago when my own bike suffered from a broken frame. It's up to the job of cycle touring and despatches miles with ease. I'm very pleased with it and still regard it as value for money despite it being £45 more expensive in France.

asset_15081544.jpg

MrRidley

esjt1976 said:
I am looking to replace and old hybrid (a Scott, don't remember the model) as my employer offers the cycle to work discount scheme.

My main use will be around town (average 7.5 miles per day) on a variety of terrain including roads (varying quality), paved cycle paths (with the inevitable kerbs to negotiate) and unsurfaced tracks (it's a small town with lots of green spaces). I also do the occasional 20-miler for pleasure. I'm looking for something that's going to last well without me having to put in loads of maintenance and fine-tuning.

My old bike had full suspension but I'm not sure I'd miss it as the one I ride now to work doesn't have it. I would like disc brakes (unless someone tells me they're a useless gimmick?).

I have looked at Giant but didn't see anything that grabbed me, and also at the Ridgeback 'Switch' series (but the saddles look really uncomfortable!). Would these be a good bet? I'm looking to stay under £500 but that's not set in stone if there's something worth spending more on.

Any suggestions to help narrow it down greatfully received!

Giant Escape M2, had one for nearly a year now, tough as old boots and will cover everything your looking for (including disks).

Top Bottom