Buying a reconditioned Mac

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Vellum looks good.

They note that you can use their software with this service if you don’t have a Mac:
https://www.macincloud.com/

However, if you just want to get working rather than faff, I’d get a cheap Mac mini and get working.

If you’ve got money for wow factor, get an IMac :biggrin:
Yes, I found the macincloud, at the time I was first looking, but for some reason paying for it put me off.

I might try the pay as you go for a little while. Then if I find I don't get on with Vellum (I hope not, it's the one bit of page design software I haven't seen a poor review for), then I haven't forked out for a mac as well.
(And I don't have to make a decision about the mac yet either!)
Will check if I can just transport Vellum over to a 'real' Mac though, if I decide to swap.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to muck about with virtual OS for fun but in been years ,it was more of a see if it works rather than a means to an end.

mustang1

Guru
I bought a 2nd hand Mac from eBay many years ago. Indont use it much these days but it's a fantastic computer. The super drive (aka dvd drive) became faulty after a couple of years but not a big deal for me as I just bought an external drive).

I bought mine from eBay but would not do so again, but not because I've had problems from them, instead I just dont want to re-activate my account).

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Our house and my business are both Mac-based, although I sometimes have the opposite problem in that I need to deliver software for PCs.

Macs are great. Or different. Or rubbish. Depends on who you talk to.

My pros

Well built - Despite some good efforts by some PC manufacturers, I've yet to find something that feels as solid
Long life - Mrs Dr Bollo's old MacBook Air is still perfectly usable with the latest version of the operation system after nearly 10 years.
Good support if you've got a Mac Store nearby.
Generally a better user experience than Windows
Unix based under the hood (won't matter to you, but I'm often in the Command line)
Better software support for creative-type jobs

My cons

Expensive
Proprietary hardware - You should be ok with a HDMI compatible monitor, but you'd still likely need a Mac-specific mouse and keyboard.
You'd need to relearn some basic tasks - single button mouse, keyboard shortcuts etc. Don't underestimate this!
You'll need to relearn some less basic tasks - backups, installing software, networking, how the file system works are all quite different. Not hard, but different.
Keyboard. Some people swear by mac keyboards, but I find them a bit 'hard'. Can't explain it well, but the feel isn't quite right for me.
Difficult and expensive to upgrade - unlikely to be a problem for you, although you'd need to check the double-monitor/laptop+monitor situation.
Closed ecosystem - unless you're happy down and dirty in command line, Macs tend to be more controlling over what happens on the system.
'Finder', the file system viewer (the equivalent to Explorer on the PC) is garbage. Apple have never got this right.
You will look like a hipster in coffee shops.
Expensive

I'd have no problems buying a refurbed more recent edition Mac from a reputable source, but a new Mac Mini might also fit the bill as long as you can confirm the support for 2 monitors. You're not exactly hammering the processor, so the spec doesn't have to be crazy.

I wouldn't recommend trying to run a Mac virtual machine on a PC. Life is too short.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I agree, but your original posting said

"If I buy just the computer, as opposed to buying a laptop, can I just plug it in to the same monitors I use with my PC?", so I was sort of answering that - sorry
No worries, I think the conversation has got a little confused.
Buying just the box (e.g. mini mac) is a lot cheaper than buying a laptop, and I already have monitors, that's where that comment came form.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'd have no problems buying a refurbed more recent edition Mac from a reputable source, but a new Mac Mini might also fit the bill as long as you can confirm the support for 2 monitors. You're not exactly hammering the processor, so the spec doesn't have to be crazy.

I wouldn't recommend trying to run a Mac virtual machine on a PC. Life is too short.

Thanks Bollo. I'd not need 2 monitors for the mac, I only want it for one specific task. I started off on macs, many, many years ago, but work meant I needed a PC, and still does, so the relearning mac stuff would only be for running Vellum.

The two monitors bit was a bit of a sidetrack in the thread!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks Bollo. I'd not need 2 monitors for the mac, I only want it for one specific task. I started off on macs, many, many years ago, but work meant I needed a PC, and still does, so the relearning mac stuff would only be for running Vellum.

The two monitors bit was a bit of a sidetrack in the thread!
My ex-boss used to run 6 monitors. 6!!!!!

Top Bottom