Buying a reconditioned Mac

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ah, I think Windows laptops don't easily connect to external monitors either. But a mac mini (seems cheapest option) is just a box, so it looks like you are both correct!
:okay:

Every windows laptop I've ever had has had a VGA, SVGA and / or HDMI according to vintage.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Every windows laptop I've ever had has had a VGA, SVGA and / or HDMI according to vintage.
I was probably thinking of when I wanted to attach a monitor as well as the laptop screen. The man in the shop gave me some reason it wouldn't work. I may have been thinking of that. (And whatever the reason was, this was 10 years ago so it may be possible now in any case!).

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was probably thinking of when I wanted to attach a monitor as well as the laptop screen. The man in the shop gave me some reason it wouldn't work. I may have been thinking of that. (And whatever the reason was, this was 10 years ago so it may be possible now in any case!).

I do remember being very impressed when I first saw a colleague using a 2nd screen at the same time. It was indeed one or t'other back in the day, but for quite a few years now you've been able to run both.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Looking at the prices for reconditioned MacBook Pro, there is not a massive saving over new (IMHO). Also, if you are a teacher, or, know a tame one, you may be able to get "educational discount" on a new Mac.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
What about a mac emulator to run the software on your current pc?
I wondered if there was something I was missing! :okay:

I had found out you can do this online, for small charge, but for some reason didn't think about emulation software on the PC. Not sure my current PC can cope, but if I'm going to spend money, an upgrade to the current PC would be a better way.

*goes off to look up emulation software*

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hmm. Doesn't sound all that straightforward, setting up a virtual machine etc, and it's not clear to me where the mac OS comes from.

I suspect that by the time I've spent hours faffing around (never mind tearing my hair out), I could have earned any money I save by trying this route.
Still contemplating...

However now I want to use software that is only produced for the mac.
didn't think about emulation software on the PC.

Classic example of stating a solution instead of the problem.

A better question would include the name of the software or better still the actual problem (eg "I currently only have a Windows Vista machine. What's the cheapest way to read and edit ProprietarySoftware files?. I'm prepared to buy a mac if necessary"

So, what problem are you trying to solve?

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I want to run a program called Vellum, which is only available for the Mac.

I have a PC running Windows 7. I also have a laptop running Windows 10.

I'm prepared to buy a mac if necessary, but wish to spend the minimum possible on it as I am not intending to use it for anything else.

I am not a computer whizz, lose my rag quickly when software doesn't work, and would prefer to pay slightly more for an easier solution (but not so much more that the easy solution is buying a new mac).

The software costs, and the mac will cost, but over time I will save money using this software as opposed to outsourcing the work I want to do with this software.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hmm. Doesn't sound all that straightforward, setting up a virtual machine etc, and it's not clear to me where the mac OS comes from.

I suspect that by the time I've spent hours faffing around (never mind tearing my hair out), I could have earned any money I save by trying this route.
Still contemplating...

Been there done that, it’s not worth it.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Been there done that, it’s not worth it.
Thank you. That's exactly the kind of answer that is helpful - I was suspecting that was the case, and it sounds like you're a bit more computer savvy than me, so that's probably ruled that option out.

Tin Pot

Guru
Vellum looks good.

They note that you can use their software with this service if you don’t have a Mac:
https://www.macincloud.com/

However, if you just want to get working rather than faff, I’d get a cheap Mac mini and get working.

If you’ve got money for wow factor, get an IMac :biggrin:

Top Bottom