Buying a Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
two PlanetX stockists in Sarf London I think, can't believe that people selling bikes like that won't allow rides

probably getting my next new one from cyclesurgery, spoke to two of their branches and the chaps were very patient and helpful and seemed to know their stuff

rjeffroy

Geoffrey Butler in Croydon stock Planet-X - they might have one available for a test ride.

OP
OP
R

robjs

I went to GB Cycles yesterday, had a really nice chat with the guy there, test rode one of the Planet X bikes, and have ordered one of the ones with the upgraded Ultegra SL equipment, and the carbon pro 50 clinchers :-D

Can't wait.

postman

Legendary Member
Well done hope you enjoy your new bike.I enjoy this site you can ask questions and get good solid advice.Which as in your case and mine on a trek will come up with a positive response.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
goo_mason said:
Is it a good idea to get measured up for any road bike ? I'm considering getting one on the Bike To Work scheme in April, but ours is through Halfrauds. I know now that they will source any bike for you and not just what they themselves sell, but as they'd have to order one in for me I'd not be able to get 'measured up' first.

Or would it not really be worth the hassle for a £300 - £400 bike ? After all, I could go and try a few out somewhere else first (eg. Edinburgh Bike) and get a good idea of frame size.

I was thinking along the lines of a Giant SCR3 for a first roadie - thoughts ?

Goo The Bicycle Works have a Bikefitting Service, you could try asking then just to measure you and give advice, rather than the whole custom build thing. I think it is at the Newington branch.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Goo - Sandy Wallace Cycles in Inverkeithing also do a fitting service.
They have Giant, Orbea and PlanetX at least ...
I was over there a few months ago and was quite impressed- no pressure and they were showing me bikes which were a bit below my price bracket, so no pressure at all. I'm waiting for my building works to be completed before paying them a return visit.:biggrin:

OP
OP
R

robjs

Just an update to this - I got the bike, and it's great fun! Thanks very much for the recommendations.

It looks really great too - now I just need to get my riding up to the level of how it looks. It's way more of a bike than I am a rider. However, in the 100 or so miles I've ridden it over the last week - it's been really nice - just need to get used to a few new things (like LOOK Keo vs SPD).

new_bike_small.jpg

Oh, and thumbs up to the guys at Geoffrey Butler Cycles in Croydon - absolutely top notch service.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
R

robjs

I love the position, whereas on my hybrid I feel that the wind catches me full on in the chest, on the road bike I'm more "cutting" through the air. I haven't fitted a computer to it yet - so I'm not sure exactly on my speed, but I'm pretty sure that the average will be a lot quicker!

Compared to flat bars, the drop bars are lovely too - those bars (the Profile Design Dromo Carbon bars) have a lot of hand position that are very comfortable.

OP
OP
R

robjs

I figured I'd wait a month or two and get myself something that can record heart rate too - I've got a Cateye Micro Wireless sitting around at the moment, so I'll probably use that in the mean time.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Top Bottom