Buying advice based on customer service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

morganbaz

Hi All,

Just joined and hoping for some advice. This Friday I was travelling home on my Carbon Cannondale supersix which I've owned for an number of years when an car turned left infront of me, I'm okay but the bike has been written off by my LBS.

I'm looking for an new bike, want one quickly if possible. But would like to use an company/manufacture who has excellent customer service and an good warranty, especially if it's an carbon bike.

I'm looking at Planet X, Dolan, Ribble as well as the bigger brands like Cannondale and Trek etc. Like the idea of buying some assembled in the UK, from an UK company.

Most of all customer service is key, I don't want to have an problem with the bike and hit brick walls getting it fixed etc etc.

Looking to spend between 2-3k, maybe more.

nice to meet you all :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Giant, Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, btwin (Decathlon) offer lifetime frame warranties, can't think of any other manufacturers/assemblers that do. Iirc PX, Ribble, Dolan have low single digit warranties on their carbon frames, so if that's a key need, steer clear

Do you have a good LBS, if so buy from them rather than mail order. There's no substitute to being able to talk to someone face to face if you have a problem

Where do you live?

2-3k surely you should be looking at Ti ;) Dolan, PX, Ribble have good offers in Ti, check warranty though

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Are you not going through a claim against the offending drivers insurance to replace your bike with the same model? If I were in your shoes I would be looking to get the same bike as a replacement.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If customer service is key, then I would avoid PX from my experience. I had a CF bike from them & the downtube cracked, they replaced the bike with a newer model no hassle, but when that frame cracked after 500 miles within the first month I had no end of trouble trying to get it replaced under warranty. I started the procedure to get my money back via the CC company when PX backed down & eventually replaced the frame. Whilst waiting for the 2nd replacement frame I bought a Ti Van Nic & have never looked back :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
I hear mixed things about Ribble's customer service too, though never bought a bike off them myself. With the bigger brands the customer service will depend very much on each individual retailer, who are almost all agents rather than manufacturer owned.

Any particular reason for wanting a bike assembled in the UK from a far eastern frame and components? Just seems and odd thing to have on the wish list.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I bought my last two carbon bikes through wiggle much against my gut feeling. Had a number of warranty issues with the first one which were dealt with far better than expected. The last fault involved returning the bike for a new shifter and even this was dealt with adequately, although not as convenient as dealing with a local bricks & mortar shop. New bike has not needed anything but i am sure wiggle will look after me if anything occurs before the warranty is up (12 months on components, lifetime on frame & forks).

OP
OP
M

morganbaz

Hey All, thanks for the feedback so far. My local bike shop is an leisure lakes bikes in Bury, north manchester! They looked at it same day...

I don't have cycle insurance but will be going via an claims company tomorrow (any recommendations are more than welcome) to make an claim. The other party are already attempting to say it was my fault! So ceased contact with them directly as they are making all kinds of untrue accusations in an hope of getting out of it I think due to the cost of the replacement bike.

My Cannondale has been good, I went through 4 frames in the first few months of ownership as they kept cracking. If I get the money, would prefer to spend on something else.

Drago

Legendary Member
Supporting a fully UK based employer rather than purely an importer of bikes assembled or from overseas. I like to do the same

That may be the case, but youre making an assumption by answering on another buyers behalf. I asked the OP if there was a reason, not you.

OP
OP
M

morganbaz

Supporting a fully UK based employer rather than purely an importer of bikes assembled or from overseas. I like to do the same

Wanting if possible to support the smaller uk companies, rather than going with the large common brands. But only if it's worth while and what they have to offer is worth while. Don't mind that they are just building them in the UK. Assume that the larger brands are probably getting their frames and components from the same places.

Hey All, thanks for the feedback so far. My local bike shop is an leisure lakes bikes in Bury, north manchester! They looked at it same day...

I have had a poor experience with Leisure lakes in Bury and would not now buy an innertube from them. They serviced my bike and the di2 battery drained within a day and would no longer hold a charge. They refused to accept that the bike was fine before they stripped it down and rebuilt it and would not even put it on the diagnostics machine. So after buying 4 bikes from them previously for myself and my partner, they get no trade from me at all.
Cooksons in Whitefield are the polar opposite. They put my bike on the diagnostic tool for free and helped me sort the problem out (a broken wire.) Now I get all my spares from them, even though they are a little more expensive.

OP
OP
M

morganbaz

So it’s not just me with leisure lakes in bury. I had an number of frames that had to be replaced and felt like they were getting bored with me and really had to fight my corner rather than feeling like they had my back.

Will give the guys an cooksons a look in this week and see what they’ve got :-)

Good morning.

.....I'm looking at Planet X, Dolan, Ribble .... Like the idea of buying some assembled in the UK, from an UK company.

I ride a steel Ribble and have happily bought many components from them.

If UK ownership is important to you then it is not clear if Ribble is a UK company in this context rather than a legal one, it is owned by True Capital.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom