buying an ex team bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
Keep an eye on This Page. No bikes there atm, though there were a bunch of Treks for sale not so long back.

EDIT:

But there again you're probably on about ProTour teams right?

rustychisel

Yes, those that aren't promised to charity events/auctions or family members.

I had the chance to buy one of Stuart O'Grady's Looks (KG361 IIRC) some years ago, but he talked me out of it. Mostly, the team will sell a training bike with anything up to 30,000km on it in a season and that's not such a great deal, even if the price is good - which it usually is.

It depends on what you're looking for, obviously. I'll give you a hot tip which may be no help whatsoever. Get to Adelaide for the Tour Downunder in January, last year at least 4 teams I recall were selling bikes, gear, pretty much anything they could get a few bucks for. I saw Time team race bikes (not training) selling for A$3000.

They 'why' is simple. They were using the '07 gear, and hopping straight onto a plane for Europe, going straight back to the service course for the '08 issue of kit and equipment. Why carry the old stuff back through all those airports etc?

The only thing I ever drew a complete blank on was Lightweight wheels (d'oh) and getting Telekom kit; for some reason it was completely unavailable as merch and those Jerries were tight fisted geezers.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The Disco team sold off all their bikes on Ebay when the team folded. so Very new bikes for good prices.
The neutral Mavic bikes pop up on ebay every now and then too.

I don't think all team bikes will be 'shagged'. They have a lot of bikes and some of them won't have been ridden very much at all, but are in the wrong team colours for the new season.

Top Bottom