Buying bike after 15 years+. Tips on 1st bike please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunner786

Hi guys.

Am 31 years old and overweight by 15 kilo's lol cos im a taxi driver. Been looking to buy a bike for few weeks on gumtree in the hope of finding 1 used for about £250-300 which brand new is about 600-700.

But just seen the carrera parva on at halfords for £180 and can bring it down to £162 with my AA discount.
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...X40IRrRNSbDEtq-mWvdQP_aqw6SmGPDxoCKmwQAvD_BwE

Is this good for a first timer? Will be mostly road riding in the evenings and not tracks or mountains.
It doesnt hsve brake discs and someone told me you have to have brake discs not the ones this has. Now im totally confused. Dont want to go over budget incase it's just a few months hype.

Im 5 foot 4 aswell so what size frame would i need?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
@biggs682 for his Ribble?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ribble-alloy-road-bike-56cm-reduced-£300.236054/

You don’t need discs for road riding although they do give you better stopping in traffic in the wet

Last edited:
Hi guys.

Am 31 years old and overweight by 15 kilo's lol cos im a taxi driver. Been looking to buy a bike for few weeks on gumtree in the hope of finding 1 used for about £250-300 which brand new is about 600-700.

But just seen the carrera parva on at halfords for £180 and can bring it down to £162 with my AA discount.
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...X40IRrRNSbDEtq-mWvdQP_aqw6SmGPDxoCKmwQAvD_BwE

Is this good for a first timer? Will be mostly road riding in the evenings and not tracks or mountains.
It doesnt hsve brake discs and someone told me you have to have brake discs not the ones this has. Now im totally confused. Dont want to go over budget incase it's just a few months hype.

Looks a good buy for the price. If you didn't take to it, you could flog it for 100+ and lose very litt.e
* Disc brakes - may help a bit sometimes, but rim brakes have been used for a long time and are fine. For normal use, it wouldn't be a factor.
* The carrera may be a touch heavy for only road riding (compared to other . Only way it to try it/something similar out.
* See what biggs has in stock ...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

That's a shame as i would think you would need a 52cm or there about's sized frame rather than a 56cm one

Keep looking on gumtree and facebook marketplace as there are some bargains out there for sure

if you are local to Wellingborough nn8 postcode don't be worried about asking for some help when viewing

OP
OP
G

Gunner786

That's a shame as i would think you would need a 52cm or there about's sized frame rather than a 56cm one

Keep looking on gumtree and facebook marketplace as there are some bargains out there for sure

if you are local to Wellingborough nn8 postcode don't be worried about asking for some help when viewing
Not too far from u mate. Live in luton.
But 300 is stretching it abit fir me can only afford something for about 150-180

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah @biggs682 bike will be far too big. Indeed 5'4 a 52cm TT will be too big, more like a 50 based on the size bikes a couple of my 5'6ish friends ride

Does the Carrera Parva come in a small enough size? It might actually be worth looking at ladies bikes as most men's seem to be aimed at 5'6+. You might be ok with the 16" but definitely try it out. The Cycle Republic arm of Halfords allows testrides

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not too far from u mate. Live in luton.
But 300 is stretching it abit fir me can only afford something for about 150-180

ok not far at all then , i will keep an eye out and let you know what pops up in the near future

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi guys.

This is a half price 600-700 bike, but new:
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...0d900f1ce004f5142dee&referrer=affiliatewindow

Im 5 foot 4 aswell so what size frame would i need?

Nothing wrong with hybrids, but personally I’d encourage a road bike for road riding. There are no “essentials” for road riding leisure, other than a bike that functions properly! :smile:

48cm frames could fit, and you sometimes get some real bargains in that size.

Good luck and enjoy!

OP
OP
G

Gunner786

So for my height shoukd i be looking at a 16inch frame or 18inch? All these size guides have different info

vickster

Legendary Member
So for my height shoukd i be looking at a 16inch frame or 18inch? All these size guides have different info
15 or 16. 18 will be too big

There’s no universal sizing standard. You have to sit on them and preferably ride (check the standiver, required saddle height and reach in the first instance)

OP
OP
G

Gunner786

Thanks for the advice guys. Took the plunge on carrera parva 16". Will be moving over to the general discussion forum now to get myself started

Top Bottom