Buying bike online - what are your experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

park1

I'm looking to get a geared road bike again after spending a year on a single speed.
Looking at the £1000 mark.
I'm tempted by the offerings from Ribble and Planet X, and also Canyon.
I live in Plymouth so have four bike shops relatively nearby, stocking Trek, Cube, Spesh, Cannondale, Giant and a few small brands, but all are only offering stuff at RRP with the exception of Trek, who have 15% off some models.
With the on line offerings you seem to be getting a lot more for your money. The obvious worry is what to do if the bike develops a problem.

Was wondering if anyone had any experiences of buying online, good or bad.

With regard to the shops most have been helpful if not that forthcoming with any great deals. Though went into one shop today and said I was looking for something around the the £1000 mark, aluminium frame with Shimano 105 - "Oh no sir, you'll be looking at at least £1400 for that." Why do some shop assistants have to lie :headshake:Needles to say I left the shop within about 3 minutes.

Any help/experience would be appreciated.

Take a look at the Boardman Road Team Carbon LTD which is £999.99
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_918505_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

vickster

Legendary Member
£1400 not too far off for specialized, trek and cannondale with 105! The big us companies generally have lifetime warranties on their frames for the original owner. Check the online sellers warranties. Canyon have no presence in the UK, so although they have a good rep, there is an added layer of complexity if an issue

I only once bought a bike on line. The handlebar bolts were so tight. Had to put it in car and get lbs to sort! No 6 week check, no confirmation of sizing, no test ride, no relationship building with lbs. more hassle if an issue and need to return. Plus a very big box to store or take to tip!

Defy 1 is a grand or less at some sellers

Fasta Asloth

Bought my ROSE online, Alu frame, full 105 £725 during end of year sale, no issues with ordering, delivery or bike to date. 10yr frame warranty more than enough for me. They also do crashed- frame replacement for 50% off...

OP
OP
park1

park1

Take a look at the Boardman Road Team Carbon LTD which is £999.99
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_918505_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

I do really like the Boardman, it's just do I trust the staff at my local Halfords to put the bike togther properly??? I know you work at Halfords and are probably to top notch mechanic, however the teenagers at my local store do not fill me with confidence.

£1400 not too far off for specialized, trek and cannondale with 105! The big us companies generally have lifetime warranties on their frames for the original owner. Check the online sellers warranties. Canyon have no presence in the UK, so although they have a good rep, there is an added layer of complexity if an issue

I only once bought a bike on line. The handlebar bolts were so tight. Had to put it in car and get lbs to sort! No 6 week check, no confirmation of sizing, no test ride, no relationship building with lbs. more hassle if an issue and need to return. Plus a very big box to store or take to tip!

Defy 1 is a grand or less at some sellers

Trek Madone 2.1 £1000, Cannondale CAAD8 £1050, Cube Peleton Race £1079 - all well under £1400. I know there are £1400 bikes 105 spec'd for that money, but I would expect to be moving up to a carbon frame for that. I was a bit miffed with the shop assistant as I felt he was deliberately trying to pull the wool in order to steer me to what he had in store, rather than just being honest and saying yes you can get that, but we don't stock those brands etc.

In terms of the six week check, i'm more than happy to do maintance myself (or with the assistance of a mate from work who is very capable in this area). Sizing confirmation, yes that is a major draw back and hance a major leap of faith. Test ride, other than a quick spin around the car park, none of the shops had demo bikes to take out for a proper ride. In terms of building a relationship with the lbs, bit of a difficult one as i tend to get small parts online and fit myself as it's so much cheaper. I spent £1000 on bike shop beofre and every time I took it back for anything I got charged RRP for the part plus labour - made me think what's the point in staying loyal if you get nothing back? Maybe I was unlucky and not all shops are like this.

OP
OP
park1

park1

Bought my ROSE online, Alu frame, full 105 £725 during end of year sale, no issues with ordering, delivery or bike to date. 10yr frame warranty more than enough for me. They also do crashed- frame replacement for 50% off...
I do like the look of the Rose bikes, but they are full price for the 105 (the Apex set up has about £100 off at present). As you can tell i'm after as much as I can get for the money:laugh:

I do really like the Boardman, it's just do I trust the staff at my local Halfords to put the bike togther properly??? I know you work at Halfords and are probably to top notch mechanic, however the teenagers at my local store do not fill me with confidence

Not a mechanic my self, just sell the bikes, our mechanic is cytech certified so you know your bike will be built safely and well. Well is your local store out of coincidence?

@dyhysted any good store will not let you take a boxed boardman away, head office hate if we do the, simply because it is a premium brand and they don't want the brand to be damaged, for example if you take a boxed one and fins when you get home and fine it's damaged, your not ganna be impressed, where as in store we can sort it out. Also the fact is that if you build it incorrectly, ride it and people see you at the side of the road fixing it, their going to think boardman brand is rubbish therefore damaging the reputation, so therefore any good halfords will not let you take a boxed one

OP
OP
park1

park1

Not a mechanic my self, just sell the bikes, our mechanic is cytech certified so you know your bike will be built safely and well. Well is your local store out of coincidence?

@dyhysted any good store will not let you take a boxed boardman away, head office hate if we do the, simply because it is a premium brand and they don't want the brand to be damaged, for example if you take a boxed one and fins when you get home and fine it's damaged, your not ganna be impressed, where as in store we can sort it out. Also the fact is that if you build it incorrectly, ride it and people see you at the side of the road fixing it, their going to think boardman brand is rubbish therefore damaging the reputation, so therefore any good halfords will not let you take a boxed one
My local decent size store is Londgbridge road, Plymouth. I was really interetsed in the Alu frame Team as It has the ful 105 and a better wheel set. I'm not too fussed about carbon frame, as i'm not going to be going upgrade mad.

Any sales coming up? even a 10% would probably swing it.

My local decent size store is Londgbridge road, Plymouth. I was really interetsed in the Alu frame Team as It has the ful 105 and a better wheel set. I'm not too fussed about carbon frame, as i'm not going to be going upgrade mad.

There is rarely a sale on boardman, they never change the prices in store. You have just (by a week) missed out on 10% off all road bikes, including boardmans.

vickster

Legendary Member

Spend £28 on British cycling membership, 10% off at halfords and other benefits including 3rd party insurance which you'll need to join a club for example.

£1400, perhaps a specialized dealer - they don't seem to have an alu 105 bike anymore, only carbon? I presume you challenged him?

Sounds like you know your stuff so happy bike buying

If you can do your own maintenance, aren't you able to look over a bike built by Halfords?

Spend £28 on British cycling membership, 10% off at halfords and other benefits including 3rd party insurance which you'll need to join a club for example.

£1400, perhaps a specialized dealer? I presume you challenged him?

Sounds like you know your stuff so happy bike buying
Good point! Forgot about that

It's only £15 for basic British Cycling membership and that will get you 10% off

Top Bottom